Multiple structures is the best way to draw each one on their own plan and do reference display on one terrain?

cbucks

Sorry new b question. I have multiple structures is the best way to draw each one on a plan and do reference display on one terrain?  If so would I draw one plan with the terrain and on the terrain draw terrain retaining lines where there will be foundation walls retaining and then add the reference display of the structures or will Chief adjust the terrain?

Separate plan files for each building is best.  The living area is correct per building, individual roofing, wall & floor defaults can be set/maintained individually.

I haven't mastered the reference display, you need to pin down the xyz coordinates of each building - and it always seems to vary between my plans because I don't start drawing at 0,0,0 in any of them.  Rene Rabbit can help you if using reference display is your preference.

Instead I export them as a 3D Collada files, then import them into my terrain plan file as a 3D Model which I then drag and drop on the site, then in 3D view I lower each of them into the ground until the garage is level with the driveways.  Typically this is 4', 7', or 9' depending on my basement wall height.  For me this method has always worked quickest and best until we had a subdivision file with over 40 houses and the file gets too large.  Reference display avoids the model sizes adding to the plan file and your library file.  Eventually I'll take the time to master it.

Terrain file is on the left.  Added building model on the right with lighting and night-time view.

Good luck.

image.thumb.png.537e23f11adfbb095df989d246fe8dbd.pngimage.thumb.png.ac1230d948cc479674d835380d57edf2.png

1 hour ago, JiAngelo said:

I haven't mastered the reference display, you need to pin down the xyz coordinates of each building - and it always seems to vary between my plans because I don't start drawing at 0,0,0 in any of them

There is no problem accurately locating the referenced building either by xyz coordinates or Point To Point move. 

I've done several projects like this and have always created a separate file for each structure which I then convert to a symbol and then bring that symbol into a terrain plan. For positioning the individual buildings, I have always had a site plan from the developer to work with which I import into the terrain plan. As JiAngelo Builders mentioned above, you can easily manipulate the height of the model until it is correct.