Mean of roof top and top of plate

armfx89

I am confused by this requirement by a client. Can anyone help pls. It's about a simple hip roof garage.

"Our building code requires the mean of the top and gutters be 15 feet max"

"the mean of the roof top and the top of plate needs to be 15 feet - not 15 feet max height".

Is the 15 ft mid-way between max height and wall plate??

2.png

15 minutes ago, armfx89 said:

Is the 15 ft mid-way between max height and wall plate??

For roofs greater than 10 degrees in slope, the MRH (h) is the distance from the average roof height (eave height to highest point of roof structure) to the average finish grade line for the direction being considered.

For roofs 10 degrees or less, it is the distance from the average finish grade elevation to the roof eave height.  The definition on page 22 of ASCE7 does not refer to any parapets, but to me, it only makes sense to take the top of the parapet for the upper "h" value for the building.  Technically, the eave height is where the sloping roof ends.  As there is no real exposed eave when there is a parapet, assuming the wall continues past the roof to the top of the parapet, I conservatively interpret the top of the parapet as the "eave".  If the parapet varies in height, I use the average top of parapet height in computing "h".
This is typically for a sloping lot

Rene is referencing an ASCE definition, but maybe it's not everything you need to consider. The code language you've quoted sounds like a Zoning bylaw, and the AHJ may have additional requirements, such as where/how to measure average grade. Ask the client for the code reference; it's a good idea to refer directly to the AHJ codes and bylaws for the area in which you're designing.

I can confirm that this is indeed a zoning bylaw. The definition of the terminology can usually be found in the Land Use Bylaw and I can also confirm that there are slight variations from one jurisdiction to another. If the OP can tell me where this project is located, I can help them find the exact information they need.

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

I can confirm that this is indeed a zoning bylaw. The definition of the terminology can usually be found in the Land Use Bylaw and I can also confirm that there are slight variations from one jurisdiction to another. If the OP can tell me where this project is located, I can help them find the exact information they need.

East Aurora, NY

IF you're designing in the VILLAGE of East Aurora (the Township may be different), Google search for their zoning code, then it's fairly easy to find:

2133360062_ScreenShot02-19-24at01_38PM.thumb.JPG.ea9f095376b354c32f6e5dd110026ab3.JPG

230611453_ScreenShot02-19-24at01.38PM001.thumb.JPG.de1dee0da3c7109696604d4a087f5aa3.JPG

This is a very typical case in zoning laws within the United States, whether the AHJ is a county or municipality.