Dormers

EMSP67

I have worked for about 6 hours trying to learn how to use dormers and cannot get it. I watched videos on dormers and how to construct a one and a half story structure. I have a 30' x 40' garage that has a living space above it but is not a true 2 story. The first floor is 120" high. The second story walls are 26" high on the (40') side with a gable roof on the 30' wall. The pitch of the roof is 10:12 and from the floor to the pitch of the roof on the inside is about 177" from the 3/4" finished floor. When I try to put in an auto dormer it says that my ceiling is too low. When I put in a floating dormer it says dormer roof does not meet base roof, etc. I have completed dormers before to make it look presentable, but they were not done correctly. The dormers I am making are 216" wide and the walls are supposed to be 96". I have Chief Architect Premier X13. Please help.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, EMSP67 said:

I have worked for about 6 hours trying to learn how to use dormers and cannot get it. I watched videos on dormers and how to construct a one and a half story structure. I have a 30' x 40' garage that has a living space above it but is not a true 2 story. The first floor is 120" high. The second story walls are 26" high on the (40') side with a gable roof on the 30' wall. The pitch of the roof is 10:12 and from the floor to the pitch of the roof on the inside is about 177" from the 3/4" finished floor. When I try to put in an auto dormer it says that my ceiling is too low. When I put in a floating dormer it says dormer roof does not meet base roof, etc. I have completed dormers before to make it look presentable, but they were not done correctly. The dormers I am making are 216" wide and the walls are supposed to be 96". I have Chief Architect Premier X13. Please help.

Thanks!

When automatic dormers are failing it is usually because there is not enough space vertically for the dormer to be created using the default settings. 

Here is a video about how to create manual dormers.  (You should seriously contemplate upgrading to X15 if you are using the software professionally.  It is miles better than X13).

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/1521/manually-drawing-dormers.html?playlist=95

Thanks so much everyone! The videos from Eric (from solver's response worked amazingly). I have another question. I put a tile floor in an entryway that has a pattern of a dog's head on it. When I get to the doorway the tiles need to be smaller than the rest of the tile (the tiles are 8" x 8" - those particular tiles are about 8" x 6") When I make the tile smaller it shrinks my dog's head instead of cutting off the bottom part of his head. I made the tiles 1/2" thick polyline solids. I tried to subtract a polyline solid from the dog tile and it did not work. Thanks!

Dog Image.jpeg

The easiest way is to use some image editing

software to crop your 8x8 image down to a 6x8

image and then use that image to create a 6x8

material. 

Dog-1.thumb.png.1194f501e202d766b786f8b10a0639ff.png

Very cool tile BTW. It's a dogs head from whichever

direction you view it. 

1194100864_thumbsup.png.af9f2008ab8df8a54be703dff749ce28.png  

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2024 at 10:30 AM, Doug_N said:

When automatic dormers are failing it is usually because there is not enough space vertically for the dormer to be created using the default settings. 

Here is a video about how to create manual dormers.  (You should seriously contemplate upgrading to X15 if you are using the software professionally.  It is miles better than X13).

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/1521/manually-drawing-dormers.html?playlist=95

I have x15 and plenty of space to have a dormer that I am currently working on and it is refusing to comply! Just like the older versions I have had, dormers are very difficult to work with. I hate them and CA needs to fix whatever it is that makes them not work. Automatic dormers my #**! LOL  They are nightmares for me!

2 hours ago, DH7777 said:

I have x15 and plenty of space to have a dormer that I am currently working on and it is refusing to comply! Just like the older versions I have had, dormers are very difficult to work with. I hate them and CA needs to fix whatever it is that makes them not work. Automatic dormers my #**! LOL  They are nightmares for me!

Post a plan file, and I will let you know why a dormer won't build.

On 3/18/2024 at 1:14 PM, Doug_N said:

Post a plan file, and I will let you know why a dormer won't build.

So sorry sir I just saw this. I have managed to build it to look correct but I am sure it is not correct structurally. But it accomplished what I needed it too. thanks though for the offer

8 hours ago, DH7777 said:

So sorry sir I just saw this. I have managed to build it to look correct but I am sure it is not correct structurally. But it accomplished what I needed it too. thanks though for the offer

You're welcome.  Glad to see you got it to work.