Help Request for Stair Issues

DRyeHD

Go to solution Solved by robdyck,

I've been using CA for several years and still have problems with some stair issues.  I've included a couple of pictures and the .pln file.  Issues are:

1. How to show sheetrock on the bottom of an attic wall (part of dormer)?

2. How to show sheetrock above the stair rail?

3. How to move a portion of the stair in when a staircase transitions from open rail to enclosed?

4. How to show a custom hand rail on a wall that does not match the total run of the stairs?

Thanks in advance.

Bonus1.jpg

Entry1.jpg

Millar.zip

16 minutes ago, DRyeHD said:

1. How to show sheetrock on the bottom of an attic wall (part of dormer)?

Select that wall and open the dialog. Check default wall heights. Check Roof Cuts Wall at Bottom.

3. How to move a portion of the stair in when a staircase transitions from open rail to enclosed?

You can do this by adding a "complete break" so that you have two separate stair sections with different widths.

4. How to show a custom hand rail on a wall that does not match the total run of the stairs?

Maybe a molding polyline?  You may also be able to just set a handrail for the lower stair section and none on the upper one when you add the complete break for #3.  FYI, if you want to change the settings for one stair section and not another, all you need to do is shift-select it and open the stair dialog.  

27 minutes ago, DRyeHD said:

Keep in mind that when using a 'Complete Break' the 2 sets of stairs (different widths) will need to join at a riser line. This will mess up the wall junction at this transition because the riser line doesn't match the 2nd floor walls.

image.thumb.png.2084dfe620f8df731d12d3d4cdacdf09.png

• Solution
33 minutes ago, DRyeHD said:

2. How to show sheetrock above the stair rail?

I didn't see this issue when I opened the plan. I will mention that you should create an Open Below room on the 2nd floor around the stairs. This room needs the same floor and ceiling elevations as the bonus room! Also, you could examine your plan for walls that don't have the default top and bottom heights and reset them to defaults.

50 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Select that wall and open the dialog. Check default wall heights. Check Roof Cuts Wall at Bottom.

Thanks so much.  I'm taking notes!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

This wall transition can be adjusted in section view, however Chief will not build the railing to match the walls, rather the railing will still match the stairs.

image.thumb.png.d39b6ca6e699e2a7267780b8a23d021b.png

@robdyck I made the Open Below room on the 2nd floor as you suggested.  I put a break in the first floor wall under the stair so I could adjust it in section view as you suggested.  I can't seem to pull that portion of the wall up to meet the ceiling above.  I've tried a few other things to make it work with no success.  Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

stair.png

Just now, robdyck said:

Have you made a complete break to the stairs? The upper portion of the stairs has to fit between the walls.

I did make the break but I didn't adjust the top portion.  I though your input was a different idea than @DBCooper.  Now I understand that it is in addition to.  I will work with this and see what I can do.  Thanks...I'll let you know how it turns out.

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

Yes, I see that I could have been clearer about that!

No problem.  Using your suggestions, I've got it about 90% the way it needs to be.  I've attached how it currently looks and an updated .pln file.  Here are two more questions:

1.  How do I get rid of the left wall rail on the upper portion of stairs and keep the lower left (open) railing?

2.  Somehow, my room divider at the top of the stairs is messing up my 2nd floor ceiling.  What am I doing wrong here?

Millar2.png

Millar2.zip

4 hours ago, DBCooper said:

Maybe a molding polyline?  You may also be able to just set a handrail for the lower stair section and none on the upper one when you add the complete break for #3.  FYI, if you want to change the settings for one stair section and not another, all you need to do is shift-select it and open the stair dialog.  

@DBCooper I haven't used 3d molding polylines much but I know they are useful.  Thanks for the tip.  It worked great!

On 1/12/2024 at 2:02 PM, DRyeHD said:

2.  Somehow, my room divider at the top of the stairs is messing up my 2nd floor ceiling.  What am I doing wrong here?

The main issue here is that the Open Below room and the Bonus Room don't have the same floor and ceiling elevations. The Open Below room is using the default elevations for the 2nd floor while the Bonus Room and Mech Rm are using customized floor and ceiling elevations.

The mistake here is not setting the default elevations for the 2nd floor to match what you want (i.e. the Bonus Room elevations). Fortunately, it's never too late to fix this!

Make a note of your desired floor and ceiling elevations and adjust the defaults for the 2nd floor. Don't forget to also adjust the floor structure default for the 2nd floor.

Go to  Default Settings> Floors and Rooms> Floor Levels> 2nd Floor and set these values to be the same as the Bonus Room.

This will update any room on the 2nd floor that is using the default values! After that, make sure the Bonus Rm and Mech Rm are set to use the default value as well.

Lastly, make sure the Open Below room has "Flat Ceiling" checked.

By the way, you have rooms on the main floor that don't have the correct ceiling height! You'll need to thoroughly inspect these to make sure everything is built correctly. From what I can tell, all main floor rooms should have the default floor and ceiling elevations.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 2:02 PM, DRyeHD said:

1.  How do I get rid of the left wall rail on the upper portion of stairs and keep the lower left (open) railing?

Shift select the upper stair portion, go to Railing Tab and uncheck Railing On Left. Keep in mind that the handrail on the left side will still have its upper termination in the same location (where the hand rail and railing meet). For a proper handrail, you would need to add another 3d molding!

23 hours ago, robdyck said:

The main issue here is that the Open Below room and the Bonus Room don't have the same floor and ceiling elevations. The Open Below room is using the default elevations for the 2nd floor while the Bonus Room and Mech Rm are using customized floor and ceiling elevations.

The mistake here is not setting the default elevations for the 2nd floor to match what you want (i.e. the Bonus Room elevations). Fortunately, it's never too late to fix this!

Make a note of your desired floor and ceiling elevations and adjust the defaults for the 2nd floor. Don't forget to also adjust the floor structure default for the 2nd floor.

Go to  Default Settings> Floors and Rooms> Floor Levels> 2nd Floor and set these values to be the same as the Bonus Room.

This will update any room on the 2nd floor that is using the default values! After that, make sure the Bonus Rm and Mech Rm are set to use the default value as well.

Lastly, make sure the Open Below room has "Flat Ceiling" checked.

By the way, you have rooms on the main floor that don't have the correct ceiling height! You'll need to thoroughly inspect these to make sure everything is built correctly. From what I can tell, all main floor rooms should have the default floor and ceiling elevations.

Robert,  thanks for taking the time to not just give me a solution, but to explain what's going on.  I fixed the upstairs.  Now I'm going to re-read it so I understand, then fix the downstairs.

I took a snow day yesterday.  We got over 2 inches and lots of things were closed.  It was also MLK day, my wife was off for the holiday.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, robdyck said:

Shift select the upper stair portion, go to Railing Tab and uncheck Railing On Left. Keep in mind that the handrail on the left side will still have its upper termination in the same location (where the hand rail and railing meet). For a proper handrail, you would need to add another 3d molding!

Robert, thanks for this input also.  I'm seeing where the 3D molding is useful when you don't want the default CA solution.

• Like 1