Window Labels And Sill Plates

Ed_Orum

Go to solution Solved by robdyck,

I want to change the orientation of the window labels so they are parallel, not perpendicular to the Windows. This occurs where the windows are on the sides of the building running top to bottom.  The windows running left to right are aligned properly.  I tried to change the angle in the Window Schedule Label dialogue, but nothing changes.
Next, is there a way to control the height of the sill plate for a given section of foundation wall?  I have a continuous wall and in one section the span will call for I joists.  The other sections of the wall call for 2x10.  The 2x10 are actually 9-1/4" tall, while the I joists are 9-1/2" tall, so I want to use a 1-1/4" thick plate where the I joists will go. Do I need to create a new wall for that section?
Using X15

Thanks,
Lane

31 minutes ago, Ed_Orum said:

window labels so they are parallel, not perpendicular to the Windows

Check the window defaults...are the labels set to absolute angle or relative angle? I believe you want 'relative angle'. This will need to be adjusted on all windows already in plan view...defaults for this won't update to windows already in the plan.

1 hour ago, Ed_Orum said:

Thanks, but no luck.  I changed the window labels default to "relative" and changed the label orientation.  It shows correctly in the dialogue box, but not in the plan.

As Rob mentioned that won't change any Existing Windows in the Plan Labels you will need to group select them and switch them to "relative" too. New windows placed should follow the new Default though.

Personally i have not seen 1 1/4" plates used.....

M.

9 minutes ago, Ed_Orum said:

Oh, I did that.  I selected the windows in the plan, but still no change.

you might need to post some pics and the plan then as window labels not parallel to the walls is pretty unusual as is Relative not being the default..... 

*  Yes Eric has a good point too.....

image.thumb.png.8b6ae4bc097f6e344e91f1967ce4f0f3.png  image.thumb.png.8db51c4e075390c17c5b517d930471ff.png

On 11/24/2023 at 3:02 PM, Kbird1 said:

As Rob mentioned that won't change any Existing Windows in the Plan Labels you will need to group select them and switch them to "relative" too. New windows placed should follow the new Default though.

Personally i have not seen 1 1/4" plates used.....

M.

The plates are ordinary 2x6 PT run through a planer so the tops of the new joists align with the tops of the existing ones.  The concrete contractor matches the existing foundation height for the foundation wall, then the framer makes the adjustment to the sill plate height.

Great question.
When I refer to Labels, I mean the designator generated by the Window Schedule....W-1, W-2, etc.

Those are Callouts , and as far as i know are controlled by the schedule , so any setting is applied to ALL windows , you can not specify different rotations on specific windows ( or side of house)

You could Use the LABEL to show the Schedule number though , along with other info such as size and type if desired though, one of My Clients likes it done this way so his Crew doesn't need to refer to the Schedule all the time , but they can if needed look up a particular Window....

image.thumb.png.17a9db969523cfdb08c86125e7667e6b.png  image.thumb.png.070948e076820432e360626461d1bcdf.png

The plates are ordinary 2x6 PT run through a planer so the tops of the new joists align with the tops of the existing ones.  The concrete contractor matches the existing foundation height for the foundation wall, then the framer makes the adjustment to the sill plate height.

Okay , I guess it must be cost effective, I was thinking adding 1/4 ply where needed might be easier....

M.