ongoing gable over porch build

Reiter

Thanks in advance for anyone who can steer me in the right direction. The last time I put this up I didnt have my file attached. Solver made me a nice video but my photo he had to work with cut off a Gable end he couldn't see which adds the biggest factor to my problem.

Attached is my file. What I am trying to accomplish is covering the entire porch with a gable roof which is raised high enough to ride up the hip roof and can tuck the hip under the soffits of the gable roof on both sides. I want the ceiling of that gable over the porch to have a ceiling which attaches to the bottom of the gable roof planes. The fact that I already have the invisible walls over the porch used to build the existing roof means creating walls to make the other roof a problem as the overlap area can’t have dual roof status (unless there is an ignore overlap feature I’m not privy too).

Things I have tried are building a skinny little room on the left side of the porch and giving it hip status to keep that roof from going away. I have taken the invisible walls out and created that portion over the porch with roof bassline polylines. I have created a second floor over that area and made the walls 1/8 high…. And many other experiments.

I have been told this can be done with auto built roofs. If it can’t please let me know. The reason I would like it to auto build is I have some other roofs and vaulted ceilings to create and don’t want to lose work however I since have learned how to mark areas as manually edited and keep them I believe.

CA11-17.zip

I did basically the same as Rene, except I deleted the slab and made the porch in two sections. I set the porch height 12" higher and auto built the roof, then edited the roof planes to clean it up. My wife is in bed with a stomach bug or the flu so me and the dog are bord, LOL.  Happy Thanksgiving.

11-17.planCapture.thumb.PNG.5b1218aed3e4eae0d65cf838b3ea810d.PNG

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 1:44 AM, Reiter said:

Thanks in advance for anyone who can steer me in the right direction. The last time I put this up I didnt have my file attached. Solver made me a nice video but my photo he had to work with cut off a Gable end he couldn't see which adds the biggest factor to my problem.

Attached is my file. What I am trying to accomplish is covering the entire porch with a gable roof which is raised high enough to ride up the hip roof and can tuck the hip under the soffits of the gable roof on both sides. I want the ceiling of that gable over the porch to have a ceiling which attaches to the bottom of the gable roof planes. The fact that I already have the invisible walls over the porch used to build the existing roof means creating walls to make the other roof a problem as the overlap area can’t have dual roof status (unless there is an ignore overlap feature I’m not privy too).

Things I have tried are building a skinny little room on the left side of the porch and giving it hip status to keep that roof from going away. I have taken the invisible walls out and created that portion over the porch with roof bassline polylines. I have created a second floor over that area and made the walls 1/8 high…. And many other experiments.

I have been told this can be done with auto built roofs. If it can’t please let me know. The reason I would like it to auto build is I have some other roofs and vaulted ceilings to create and don’t want to lose work however I since have learned how to mark areas as manually edited and keep them I believe.

CA11-17.zip 8.92 MB · 4 downloads

The methodology you have attempted here is good and correct and it will help you to learn how to use the software more efficiently too.

Rene has gone straight to the advanced manual roof building techniques in order to supply your raised gable over your problem area. A good way to learn manual roof building.

A combination of both methods can also work. I would just push your external dining room wall temporarily out to where you want your full gable wall to build. Then I would go into the dialogue box of that wall and mark it to build as full gable. Next set the room height of that dining room so that the gable will build at the correct height. In this instance you would raise the ceiling height accordingly. Then auto build and see if it has produced correctly if not undo and edit that room till the gable builds the way you want it to. If you need to make any manual edits then simply do so. Then move your dining wall back into place.

Have Fun !

Edit: Oh don’t forget to set the dining room height back to where it was originally.

• Like 1

It looks awful, architecturally, to have those lower roof ends come into the space under the roof canopy over the entry.

That canopy will need structure, either hidden under finishes or exposed timbers, and it is the structure surface that the low roofs, left and right, should resolve into.