Deck edge at railing

Jake1976

16 minutes ago, Jake1976 said:

Does anyone know how to control the fascia that is automatically created  at the floor just below a railing? I'd like to just turn this off for this deck, if possible and I can't seem to find the option to do so.

Screenshot 2023-11-07 201338.png

Change your deck railing wall type to a single layer wall.  It’s the drywall or siding layer trying to build through to the next level below.

1 hour ago, ValleyGuy said:

You could also make your wall type material "opening (no material)" as the floor joist area is as Ryan says - filled with your wall layer materials.

That will cause issues in vector views.  Not having anything in the exterior layer is the way to fix this.

@Jake1976 - 

A deck works differently than a typical floor platform. You can use just about any wall type to create your deck rail...chief does not extend the finish materials across the floor platform.

See my attached screen clip...where I use the "Siding-4" wall to create my deck. The finish material does not cover the beam or the newel posts either. The one effect the wall type does have is that it centers the railing wall on the width of whatever wall type you are using. 

2023-11-13_15-56-38.thumb.png.8d3f1d01fa412ea7ba23d2aa8427afdc.png

Somehow in the deck that I created, it did extend the material beyond and covered the deck edge.  Not sure why, but I redrew it and it didn't do it anymore.  Not sure why, but thank you for your help. Decks seems to be a little fiddly.. I'll get it in time. 

Thanks Steve, I really appreciate your thoughts.  Another question on railings:  This project is a commercial apartment building and the bottom of the railing will need to extend 12" + the tread width (which is 11") so it will need to extend 23" beyond the first nosing.  I see the check box for the handrail extension, but it doesn't seem to work with this railing.  Any ideas? 2680.plan

16 hours ago, Jake1976 said:

Thanks Steve, I really appreciate your thoughts.  Another question on railings:  This project is a commercial apartment building and the bottom of the railing will need to extend 12" + the tread width (which is 11") so it will need to extend 23" beyond the first nosing.  I see the check box for the handrail extension, but it doesn't seem to work with this railing.  Any ideas? 2680.plan

I'm unable to download the plan...it says it's unavailable. So...not sure what your exact condition is. 

You will discover that you need a wall that extends at minimum to the end of the stair in order for the auto rail extension to work. The stair tool is just a "basic" tool...and it has needed some improvements for a long time. 

2023-11-17_14-55-04.thumb.png.807dd1da9c773c9ddcfb36b51ffc21dc.png