Show multi-floor post on all floors

Jake1976

Depending on the object in question, I usually just make paste a CAD object on each floor. Posts are pretty simple objects so you can just make a CAD Box or circle around the posts on the floor they're currently drawn on, select the CAD objects and do an Edit> Cut, then move to Floor 2 and Paste Hold Position.

Its helpful to set them to the layer of the object they're representing too (probably before you Cut them), so they can be easily displayed/hidden alongside their counterparts in different views.

The problem with TeaTime's method is what happens when you later move the post.  You then have to go to the other floors and move the cad objects otherwise you would have errors in your plans.  Using reference display, you don't have to do this.

3 hours ago, DBCooper said:

The problem with TeaTime's method is what happens when you later move the post.  You then have to go to the other floors and move the cad objects otherwise you would have errors in your plans.  Using reference display, you don't have to do this.

agreed..sorry teatime :)

3 hours ago, DBCooper said:

The problem with TeaTime's method is what happens when you later move the post

30 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

agreed..sorry teatime :)

Neither are perfect. The problem with Reference Display is that it's a per-view setting, and you'd probably need to setup a special layer set for it to really work right. If you want to see posts on multiple views, you'll have to set reference in multiple places.

Just, don't move your posts ;)

41 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

Neither are perfect. The problem with Reference Display is that it's a per-view setting, and you'd probably need to setup a special layer set for it to really work right. If you want to see posts on multiple views, you'll have to set reference in multiple places.

Just, don't move your posts ;)

If you even need multiple saved plan views. You can always save it to one saved plan view with the reference's layer set on the correct floor and the saved plan view set to use any floor....copy layer set which only has the post's layer on, then in layout, specify which floor you want displayed.

Great thoughts and ideas.  I'll try and wrap my head around Rene's last suggestion.  It sure would be nice if CA considered adding a field to certain items that allowed us to select the floors that the items should be visible on.  Is it worth submitting a feature request for this? 

37 minutes ago, Jake1976 said:

Great thoughts and ideas.  I'll try and wrap my head around Rene's last suggestion.  It sure would be nice if CA considered adding a field to certain items that allowed us to select the floors that the items should be visible on.  Is it worth submitting a feature request for this? 

There are already some feature requests for handling of objects seperate from layers. I'd have to do a search. Kind've lumps in with creating layer groups for better management of resources within rendering large spaces

Chief can already display some objects, like cameras and added lights, on all floors or just one floor.   Seems like this could be made to work for more things but I am not sure it would really be better than just using reference display.