Surveyor Coordinates

RGShurlingPA

Recently I have had an issue with two survey companies refusing to provide clients survey in DXF or DWG format for import.  The issue is that they do not want the liability of a survey being modified by another party.

The PDF files they provide are scanned and not electronically generated, so scaling to create an accurate site plan has been a challenge.  The surveys do provide all the necessary information to recreate the boundaries and setbacks using lines and arcs, but I have struggled to determine how to accurately draw these elements using surveyors coordinates.  Has anyone been able to determine a simple method to redraw a site plan accurately from surveyors coordinates, as in N 87º 14' 22" W 134.5'?

119437823_DaoustSurvey.thumb.jpg.c7ea564566d5473db567993574533bb4.jpg

9 times out of 10 if they send a pdf form you can "pdfimport" into Autocad and get your lines. They are busted up lines but it is still a clean picture. I do it all the time for my site plans IF the client has it. I am building a spec home and got the surveyor to send me the pdf. I input into AutoCad, positioned the home like I wanted, sent it back to them so they could go back out and stake it out and they never yelled at me.

OR, right click and copy their scanned image, paste into AutoCad, find one dimension you can read, trace a line on it and scale the entire image to that dimension. Then spot check other dims to make sure it is scaled properly. Then import as .dwg into CA. AutoCad is just faster for me for these things, that's why I keep it in my back pocket.

Have you tried using the "input line" tool?  If you change the "number style" and use "polar" you should be able to just type in each line using the survey data.  Keep in mind that once you have entered all of the lines, they might not actually meet at the end.  This is a common problem with survey data.

This tech article might help too:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00575/creating-a-plot-plan.html

• Like 1

Here is a similar question that you may find helpful.  Sad the you have run into a surveyor withholding what should be considered public information.  I think there is a lot more behind the statement he gave you unfortunately.