Setting Defaults

stager386

There seems to be a number of places to set the same default, which makes me wonder if I am going about things wrong.  For example: Framing - Wall - Stud Spacing seems to replicate Walls - Wall Type Definition - Framing - Stud Spacing.  Or Floors and Rooms -- Floor/Ceiling Platform - Floor Structure has options that are also in the framing defaults.  There are a lot of layers of settings within default options, and it's hard to know if I've already established the default or if it something different.  I definately get turned around with this.  Hopefully someone can shed some light for me.  Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that can be a bit confusing. Sadly the answer is largely "you get used to it eventually".

But very few things are duplicated anywhere, and if they are they're basically just the same dialog just used in two places. "Build Framing" and "Build Roof" for example are the same as their respective Defaults. What you're seeing in those other examples are what they call Dynamic Defaults. Taking one of your examples, the Floor and Ceiling Structures for each floor aren't duplicating the defaults in the Floor/Ceiling Platform - they're using them. Default Settings> Floors and Rooms> Floor/Ceiling Platform is where each floor--and subsequently, each room--get those values from.

I'd suggest browsing Chief's videos on Dynamic Defaults, it should help paint a better picture.

@stager386 - There are "defaults"...but these can be over-ridden by the user for specific wall(s) or room structures.  

Say for example you want all your walls to be 16" on center...except one wall you need it to be 12" on center because of the load that wall is expected to carry. You can open the wall dialogue and change just that wall to 12" on center...but all your other walls will remain "default". You can do the same for rooms...maybe one room needs the floor joists at a tighter spacing than your default...you can specify that in the room dialogue...just for that room. 

Hope that makes sense...

On 10/6/2023 at 4:16 PM, TeaTime said:

Yeah, that can be a bit confusing. Sadly the answer is largely "you get used to it eventually".

But very few things are duplicated anywhere, and if they are they're basically just the same dialog just used in two places. "Build Framing" and "Build Roof" for example are the same as their respective Defaults. What you're seeing in those other examples are what they call Dynamic Defaults. Taking one of your examples, the Floor and Ceiling Structures for each floor aren't duplicating the defaults in the Floor/Ceiling Platform - they're using them. Default Settings> Floors and Rooms> Floor/Ceiling Platform is where each floor--and subsequently, each room--get those values from.

I'd suggest browsing Chief's videos on Dynamic Defaults, it should help paint a better picture.

Excellent response, thank you.

On 10/6/2023 at 4:21 PM, SNestor said:

@stager386 - There are "defaults"...but these can be over-ridden by the user for specific wall(s) or room structures.  

Say for example you want all your walls to be 16" on center...except one wall you need it to be 12" on center because of the load that wall is expected to carry. You can open the wall dialogue and change just that wall to 12" on center...but all your other walls will remain "default". You can do the same for rooms...maybe one room needs the floor joists at a tighter spacing than your default...you can specify that in the room dialogue...just for that room. 

Hope that makes sense...

Thank you for your feedback!