Orthogonal Tab Move

JKEdmo

Good morning -

I think there's an easy answer to this and probably a setting I'm overlooking.

Trying to drag / move a window left and using TAB move to enter distance and angle.  Getting weird angles...

Is there a setting to lock in the angle to "normal" angles, e.g. 15 degree increments?

Thanks again,

Jim

image.thumb.png.d666f2d7978fad50beae8e7a61d87773.png

I'm fairly positive it's just showing the distance/angle you've moved your mouse from the original handle location. So in this instance if you'd grabbed a window handle that was on the outside edge, and dragged it over to the outside snap of the wall, it'd be -180.  But for windows I don't think it matters since they can't be pulled out of a wall - just set the distance and it should be good.

58 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

just set the distance and it should be good.

Thanks TT,

I think a wonky angle does affect distance.  Here's a test door.  I move it 18" left with angle not corrected:

image.thumb.png.2b8f2760e3470ec2d7625ad85f8772aa.png

The result is not a true 18" move:

image.thumb.png.3af6ab61a006a463e0095735b9abfd2c.png

For other objects like bathtubs, lines, text, etc., the tab move angle is orthogonal... 

image.thumb.png.98296a89281a1f25091060e5b44de9ce.png

So, behavior between objects seems inconsistent to me unless there is some deeper "Chief logic" I don't understand.  (This being entirely possible and the reason I use this forum!)

Jim

Oh! Huh. Yeah most things in chief like to move orthogonally, and the Enter Coords dialog tracks the objects movement, but not windows. I guess I've never noticed the difference.

But I don't think there's any override, probably just something their engineers should look at fixing.

Open Preferences>Edit>Behaviors>Primary Movement Method>check Polar.

Back in plan view select the window and drag it along the wall.

As you drag, have a look at the status bar and note the distance moved and the angle.

Keep the drag angle the same as the wall angle.

Use TAB and then check the angle - it should be the same as you saw in the status bar.