Problem with Library Search

Joe_Carrick

I use the following string of keystrokes on my StreamDeck_XL for Library Searches:

• Escape
  • Ctrl+L
  • Ctrl+L
  • Ctrl+A select all text in the Search Box
  • Delete
  • Search Text <enter>
  • Tab

This works perfectly when in a Plan View to find the desired folder or object.

But in Layout it selects everything on the Layout page and deletes everything --- instead of selecting & deleting all the text in the Search Box.

I've reported this to SSA.  Hopefully they will find a solution.

If anyone else can verify and provide a foolproof solution I would appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

This works perfectly when in a Plan View to find the desired folder or object.

But in Layout it selects everything on the Layout page and deletes everything

Ctrl+L is the same in Plan vs Layout so I can't imagine why it wouldn't work exactly the same. That's a pretty standard command string too, so it shouldn't be any different than just manually hitting those keys (unless there's some weird timing issue as a result of being on a Layout, somehow). Obviously if the Library is closed when running that, then naturally Ctrl+L x2 will open then close it then Ctrl+A/Del will nuke everything, but just simulating that process I'm not seeing any sign that the browser somehow isn't recognized as being already opened after switching to a Layout.

One suggestion I'd give though: Ctrl+A/Del has a pretty high danger potential, as you've demonstrated if the macro misfires that's pretty catastrophic. I'd replace Ctrl+A, Delete with Home, Shift+End, Delete - unless you've customized them, Home and End shouldn't do anything outside of a text field. So at LEAST when it fails, you don't lose anything, you just don't get a search.

Also out of curiosity why lead with Escape and not Spacebar?

50 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

I'd replace Ctrl+A, Delete with Home, Shift+End, Delete - unless you've customized them, Home and End shouldn't do anything outside of a text field. So at LEAST when it fails, you don't lose anything, you just don't get a search.

Also out of curiosity why lead with Escape and not Spacebar?

I like the Home, Shift+End, Delete to work with just the text field - but it still doesn't select the text when in Layout.

Escape vs Spacebar is just personal preference.  Sometimes I use both to make absolutely sure.  ;)  Even that's not always 100% :lol:

2 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I like the Home, Shift+End, Delete to work with just the text field - but it still doesn't select the text when in Layout.

Well that's darn strange. But hey at least you're not deleting everything anymore!

I wonder if it's something to do with Library layout? Or just something weird with the Library in general - I've found just now that after I moved my Filter Results panel, I can no longer Tab to it. Restart Chief recently??

I added a "1000 ms Delay" before "Home" and it works properly.

I tried shorter delays but it was inconsistent.  

The "1000 ms Delay" even works before "Ctrl+A"

It's definitely a difference between the Layout and Plan.  I'll probably make it SOP for both just for consistency and safety.  Now I wish I could update 3 hotkeys in a row for a multi-action button.

• Upvote 1

@Renerabbittyeah I was curious about Space vs Escape in two ways: why one vs the other, but also just why in general. I figure maybe he had his reasons, but I'd skip it, myself.

re: not needing Home/Del - yes, indeed as long as your text is selected, just start typing.

With that, Ctrl+A can be avoided too if your paranoid about something misfiring and selecting everything, Tab/Shift-Tab will change focus off and back to the Search field with everything selected.

27 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

Ctrl+A can be avoided too if your paranoid about something misfiring and selecting everything, Tab/Shift-Tab will change focus off and back to the Search field with everything selected.

I thought that Chief uses a keyboard buffer ot typeahead for hotkey to library..could be wrong. It wouldnt be a problem if it did. Which would kindve mean that the issue joe was having was the initial esc or space bar action. Potentially moreso because of esc trying to find a previous action if the previous action was in plan view. Just spitballing. We shall see

This is only an issue for me with the StreamDeck_XL.

Basically, I had to change all my Library Search Buttons to:

• Escape or Space
  • Ctrl+L
  • Ctrl+L
  • Delay 1000 ms
  • Ctrl+A select all text in the Search Box
  • Delete
  • Search Text <enter>
  • Tab

I could substitute 

• Home
  • Shift+End

for the 

• Ctrl+A

but it's not a big deal.

The key is the Delay 1000 ms.

8 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

This is only an issue for me with the StreamDeck_XL.

Basically, I had to change all my Library Search Buttons to:

• Escape or Space
  • Ctrl+L
  • Ctrl+L
  • Delay 1000 ms
  • Ctrl+A select all text in the Search Box
  • Delete
  • Search Text <enter>
  • Tab

I could substitute 

• Home
  • Shift+End

for the 

• Ctrl+A

but it's not a big deal.

The key is the Delay 1000 ms.

why are you leading with escape or space? Why is that needed?
why are you hitting delete? Why is that needed?
If you see previous posts, im pretty sure the escape or space key is causing the issue with millisecond delay..maybe get rid of it and set delay down to 5ms

38 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

why are you leading with escape or space? Why is that needed?

In order to terminate any existing symbol placement.  The "Sticky" problem ;)

But now I don't seem to need that either - except in those cases where a search isn't being done and it's just one of Chief's default symbols that has it's own Hotkey.  A switch or duplex outlet, etc.

38 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

why are you hitting delete? Why is that needed?

Evidently it isn't.  Seems it was in a previous version but IAE it doesn't hurt.