Rob's Customized Symbols

RobUSMC

I have been going through my user library and creating symbols that I want on my custom layers. For example, all my outlets are on a layer named Electrical, Outlets. Switches on Electrical, Switches and so on for fans, appliance outlets, ceiling and wall lights. The reason I do this is when you have all these symbols plus under cabinet rope lights, backsplash outlets and switches, pendants and so on on the same layer such as the single default electrical layer and your in a kitchen or bath they are all on top of one another and makes it hard to read on a plan. I send these to individual sheets in my layout.  My electrician loves it because its easy to read.  That's just how I do it. I'm sure others have their own process too.

Here is my electrical symbol library where all are on those custom layers with correct materials.    I have also done this for Bath & Kitchen accessories, Bath Plumbing, Kitchen Plumbing, Bath Shower parts, Interior Decor, Furniture & Furnishings.  Attached is the electrical library. If you find this helpful I can share these others.  Also attached is a screenshot of the electrical layers Ive created to keep items separated on a layout.

Link to One Drive folder for download as its over the 14MB limit

Electric Symbols.calibz 

Screenshot 2023-06-11 083226.png

My Libraries.png

This is awesome! I’ve always used the default layer plus I created separate layers for Lights, outlets, and switches but never as specific as yours. It gives you more control of your electrical symbols. You killed it man! That’s pretty awesome!  Thanks for sharing!!!

I do this with my Plumbing Fixtures, splitting them into Kitchen Bathroom, Shower etc too  , and I can see how this would be helpful for Electrical Plans as well.

It appears your OneDrive/Sharepoint won't allow "strangers" to download the File ..... did you try uploading it direct to the Forum ? it should allow 14mb attachments , though you may need to split it perhaps into 2 Libraries?

Mick.

I also have these almost completed...

- Kitchen Plumbing

- Bath Accessories

- Kitchen Accessories

- HVAC

- Interior Decor and accessories

- Furniture

- Kitchen Appliances

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RobUSMC said:

Maybe 4th times the charm

Electric Symbols.calibz

Yep , good now :) and Thanks.

You might need to Change the Threads Title ( Edit the 1st Post )  to just Rob's  Libraries / Symbols ......

* the benefit of making smaller Libraries and Posting Directly her eon the Forum, is that you don't need to Host them ...now or in the future....  

Mick.

• RobUSMC changed the title to Rob's Customized Symbols

This is great for the individual user...but custom layers like this are such a pain to deal with as an outside contractor coming in and trying to help with your plan. Not to mention the maintainence of it and upkeep. As soon as you setup something custom, it can all bebroken by a code cycle, or a software cycle, or you want to change your approach...then you have to process all of these symbols again. I'm only mentioning this because I've been throughit all extensively and its a major pain in the long run. All of my custom layers are finally long gone and I am so much happier for it.
If you plan on ousourcing at all, I highly encourage sticking as close to defaults as possible.
I would argue that you burn just as many sheets having multiple sheets with different things on them as you would just sending your plan at a greater scale and using match lines.

A appreciate the constructive criticism  Rene.  I've always worked more out of my user library especially in much earlier versions of CA before they even had bonus catalogs or the ability to copy anything from the core of mfg to the user library. I have three in house designers and I have their PC set up just like mine and I update theirs by importing a new user library on a weekly basic if needed.

8 hours ago, RobUSMC said:

A appreciate the constructive criticism  Rene.  I've always worked more out of my user library especially in much earlier versions of CA before they even had bonus catalogs or the ability to copy anything from the core of mfg to the user library. I have three in house designers and I have their PC set up just like mine and I update theirs by importing a new user library on a weekly basic if needed.

I will be thankful for the day when chief gives us these items on a system-based custom layer..then its scalable globally and would be awesome

Hi All

Rene, you have great things going on from what I've seen over the couple years of learning getting into the CA program. 

You are right. After many ways with (not so) Auto-CAD, I too have went the Less is More route with layers. Elevations I use 4 layers from light to dark, Done. But that is all line work.

Even Revit, has it to where the outlets, switches and lights are able to be switched on / off in your view. Notice how I didn't say "Layer". They don't really use them per se.

However, seeing many different types of architects' CAD files, using 5 layers, makes it to where you can have the:

Plan 1. Outlets & Switches & Circuits Below on the Power Plan (3 layers)

Plan 2. Switches & Lights & Circuits Above on the Lighting Plan (2 additional layers)

Just like schedules can separate floors, rooms, cabinets, etc, this should be the same on plans. 

When done you have 2 sheets.

CA needs to incorporate this Simple concept. Be nice to have a simple panel schedule soon. (unless I'm not seeing it yet?) From others, the Plumbing and Mech. too.

Always looking forward to learning more,

CH

(I wanted to add my 2-cents as I believe we are behind compared to other programs out there. Even printing per another person's post, and should also include keeping same sheet setup per file & print single sheets not batch only. Further, export to .dwg needs work.) 

42 minutes ago, CH04ResDgn said:

Plan 1. Outlets & Switches & Circuits Below on the Power Plan (3 layers)

Plan 2. Switches & Lights & Circuits Above on the Lighting Plan (2 additional layers)

I would say this is heavy leaning toward a commercial building workflow with an RCP. I only ever see local muni preference of having it all on one sheet in the regions I work in nationally. Is this a requirement somewhere? I am just curous :)
I would suggest, sending in a suggestion for additional electrical layers and pin it here and we can all go file a report and it might change. My preference is entirely for scalability, it's difficult to adopt someones custom stuff..I can't do it, I work with too many different Chief Techs..and a system like this is one I see as volitile...too many symbols and too much maintaence. I have all of my own symbols for z-wave..already too many to manage and go build a layer set around after designating outlet/light/switch leg/ etc. Even more so when you get into conditions where a symbol needs to be on both an RCP and a power plan.
If nothing else, would encourage to push this to suggestions..we can get stuff to happen that way, as its a great thought @RobUSMC

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Hi Rob , just wanted to say thanks , I see you updated the Post with he Plan File as well so People will have all the textures , so thanks for doing that.

1 small problem , the Kitchen Plumbing Library is not downloadable as access is denied....

Mick.

@RobUSMC

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2023 at 3:01 PM, RobUSMC said:

I have been going through my user library and creating symbols that I want on my custom layers. For example, all my outlets are on a layer named Electrical, Outlets. Switches on Electrical, Switches and so on for fans, appliance outlets, ceiling and wall lights. The reason I do this is when you have all these symbols plus under cabinet rope lights, backsplash outlets and switches, pendants and so on on the same layer such as the single default electrical layer and your in a kitchen or bath they are all on top of one another and makes it hard to read on a plan. I send these to individual sheets in my layout.  My electrician loves it because its easy to read.  That's just how I do it. I'm sure others have their own process too.

Here is my electrical symbol library where all are on those custom layers with correct materials.    I have also done this for Bath & Kitchen accessories, Bath Plumbing, Kitchen Plumbing, Bath Shower parts, Interior Decor, Furniture & Furnishings.  Attached is the electrical library. If you find this helpful I can share these others.  Also attached is a screenshot of the electrical layers Ive created to keep items separated on a layout.

Link to One Drive folder for download as its over the 14MB limit

Electric Symbols.calibz 

Screenshot 2023-06-11 083226.png

My Libraries.png