X15 Roof Trusses

SNestor

Very good stuff here.

I am lucky I guess in the fact that nobody pays any attention to what CA puts out regarding a truss design due to the wind borne area, other than the overhang, pitch, and the occasional heel change often needed for additions to make things work, which will affect elevations. Any trussing would be purely illustrative as it is all superseded by the truss engineering package. Framers here would not even look at anything CA generated, nor would the inspectors. I can attest to the use of Alpine @Dougakas I see that logo on all of our packages.

But, it seems to me that two things have happened. 1) CA gave some power to be like what maybe a truss engineer would want so our roofs can look more real, and 2) the realization that some automation would be in order based on some settings. So user beware, be smarter than what you are working with.

Curious, in other areas, would a truss company actually build and deliver trusses based on the CA output?

But on another note, big disappointment in X15 for not delivering on two bugs I submitted in X14 over a year ago. These affect every single plan I do here in FL. Makes the truss thing a nice to have, but whatever. :-(  I sure am glad I am on the old SSA plan.

• Upvote 1

It was clear to me that in X15 we need to specify the truss heel height.

Just make sure our truss manufacturer reads our cross section or in this case provide a detail of the heel height.

As long as we have it set to a default value in our template, I don’t see it as a problem.

Having designed Trusses in the late 80’s with Bostich Software the truss design program will also have a default value for the heel height when it prints out the cutting list.

It’s always good to coordinate with your truss supplier to see what their program default heel height value is set at. 

When you have special case Trusses, just provide specific details and drawings so they build them correctly for you. 

6 hours ago, mthd97 said:

"Just make sure our truss manufacturer reads our cross section or in this case provide a detail of the heal height."

Not being a truss designer, I learned quite a bit on this thread regarding the detail involved and it all makes sense. But I think this one comment above is the key in communication between the architect, builder, and truss builder.

In FL, our main element is just the pitch, everything else is pretty standard so this never really comes up in new construction. Only in a few plans did I have to consult with them on the heel height on a few remodels of existing walls so the roof lined up well.

16 hours ago, PMMully said:

Not being a truss designer, I learned quite a bit on this thread regarding the detail involved and it all makes sense. But I think this one comment above is the key in communication between the architect, builder, and truss builder.

In FL, our main element is just the pitch, everything else is pretty standard so this never really comes up in new construction. Only in a few plans did I have to consult with them on the heel height on a few remodels of existing walls so the roof lined up well.

Yes when it’s all standard there usually is no issue just that we would like to know what the manufactures standard heel height is. 

My recent case was with a job that has a parapet joining two duplexes side by side and two box gutters either side of the parapet. I needed my box gutters to be set down in order to get enough depth for them. I needed to increase the width of the top chord from 4 inches to 5 approximately. So special cases like this and also having a truss up-stand height as shown in the diagrams above by other users do come up.

Sometimes the truss needs to be cantilevered so other special cases also come up and even if we don’t have the webbing specifically correct the truss designer will get that correct with his program for us. So good cross sections and details are a must for good communication with the truss builders.

• Like 1