Printing 18x24 problems

trobey

Hello everyone,

When i need to print a layout that is 18x24 on my HP T650 plotter, I cannot get it to print without rotating the image so i have to manually trim the paper after printing.  It works fine when I print to a PDF first and then print, but not within Chief.  When I select portrait or rotate the image it breaks it up into multiple pages.  very annoying and I have checked every setting I can find as well as set up a custom page size.  Please help if you have any ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

I don't have an 18x24 layout to try with, but if I take a 24x36 layout sheet and tell it to print at 18x24 sheet size in landscape mode with scale set to "fit to paper", it will print an 18x24 sheet just as it shows in the print preview. This is with an HP T210 using 24" roll paper.

Probably not much help to you, but it sure seems like it should print an 18x24 layout to scale without having to manually trim your sheets.

2023-02-13_16-56-00.thumb.png.b9d7124645e909bf101aa10df4119030.png

I know when I switched from Windows 10 to Windows 11 I had all kinds of problems getting my plotter to cooperate as far as orientation & size, ended up having to roll back to an older HP driver and uninstall some of the HP software (print preview I think) that the HP support page said I was supposed to need. Good luck, I feel your pain.

2 hours ago, trobey said:

Hello everyone,

When i need to print a layout that is 18x24 on my HP T650 plotter, I cannot get it to print without rotating the image so i have to manually trim the paper after printing.  It works fine when I print to a PDF first and then print, but not within Chief.  When I select portrait or rotate the image it breaks it up into multiple pages.  very annoying and I have checked every setting I can find as well as set up a custom page size.  Please help if you have any ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

I experience that same thing, along with other issues, so I always print from a PDF. HP T520 here.

1 hour ago, tundra_dweller said:

I don't have an 18x24 layout to try with, but if I take a 24x36 layout sheet and tell it to print at 18x24 sheet size in landscape mode with scale set to "fit to paper", it will print an 18x24 sheet just as it shows in the print preview. This is with an HP T210 using 24" roll paper.

Probably not much help to you, but it sure seems like it should print an 18x24 layout to scale without having to manually trim your sheets.

2023-02-13_16-56-00.thumb.png.b9d7124645e909bf101aa10df4119030.png

I know when I switched from Windows 10 to Windows 11 I had all kinds of problems getting my plotter to cooperate as far as orientation & size, ended up having to roll back to an older HP driver and uninstall some of the HP software (print preview I think) that the HP support page said I was supposed to need. Good luck, I feel your pain.

I agree it should be working, but even though the print preview works it still prints the page on the right side of the roll paper so I have to trim 6” off the left. 

12 hours ago, trobey said:

I agree it should be working, but even though the print preview works it still prints the page on the right side of the roll paper so I have to trim 6” off the left. 

Same thing I ran into. Even though everything was set up to print how I wanted, it still came out long-ways and I had to trim the paper. GRRR

I concluded it was a "Chief Thang" and just gave up. Like so many other "CT"s :P

I still want to believe there is an option to correct this.  It's definitely a CA thing as the PDF prints fine.  I'll let you know if I stumble upon anything.

Tom Robey

CA Premier X14

MacBook Pro M1, macOS Ventura