Creating and Using ZIP system insulated panels

MikeZJ

I've looked all through the discussion threads and can't find any mention of the use of the ZIP systems wall and roof panels. It's a coated OSB with a 1" or 1/2" insulation bonded to it. It's a structural panel that has the OSB on the outside and no housewrap is required. The window and door nailing flanges would be installed on the outside OSB surface, along with the siding (Smartside, Hardie, etc.).  For maximum wall strength, one would want the panel to extend down to the bottom of the rim board and lap back up the wall. This would provide insulation and a water barrier all the way down to the top of the footing.

With Chief's Wall Type framing rules (Main and Exterior layer definitions), I'm not sure if this needs to be 2 wall types or if the ZIP panels would be placed as a skin around the house?

Anyone out there designed a house with this type of walls?

I would place the Zip system as an exterior layer.  You could set it up as two exterior layers; the foam next to the studs and the OSB between the foam and the siding.  That would give you the proper visual in plan and section.

If you need the Zip to report to the material list, you'll need to change how the layers report (Label the OSB layer as the Zip panel type, don't include the foam).  I don't use the materials list but I'm sure someone else will comment.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 3:40 PM, MikeZJ said:

With Chief's Wall Type framing rules (Main and Exterior layer definitions), I'm not sure if this needs to be 2 wall types or if the ZIP panels would be placed as a skin around the house?

Why don't you just add an insulation layer underneath your sheathing in the wall definition you are using?

I created a material of the zip board and use this in place of the typical OSB.  I haven't used the zip with foam attached, but I do use the mineral wool for the "Rockwool" as illustrated in the attached.  I'd be curious on the Zip Foam board for sure.  I guess, again, create a new material board with the correct thickness (zip + foam) and R and use that in your wall definition.  Your section views won't be correct but your reports will be.  Or do like Maureen or John stated...  

On the Build Show!  

2X4-ZIP OSB-ROCK - AIR SEAL CAULK.png

#6 2X6 ZIP R3TOTAL R-22.png