DWG file not workable

wftingen

I am still learning Chief Architect and had my architect send me some plans for one of our projects so I could make notes.

It can in a .dwg file format and I found out how to import and open the doc.

1) It doesn't appear to be very workable compared to it being built in Chief Architect. Meaning, the doors are just showing as blocks, I can't add a door or window into a wall. It's like it doesn't recognize it as such. Some of the walls say "AECDbWall" and appear to be a block more than a wall drawn as I am used to with Chief Architect.

2) The file only shows the Proposed floors but not the elevations and existing like the PDF plans they sent us. Is this not all one file when they work in CAD?

Thank you

First off, Please add your signature to your posts so helpers then know something about the software you are speaking of and a little about your computer that supports that software. How to add your "Signature" can be easily found here: 

AutoCAD is abasically a 2D ONLY file format. And different end users of that software use different methods to create their products. Such .dwg files are AutoCAD release sensitive like Chief .plan and .layout are also version release sensitive. If I knew what version of AutoCAD the .dwg was in and what the .dwg file version was supported by your version  of Chief Architect, only then could I advise you on what to do.

DJP 

• Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning everyone. As a follow up and for clarification, I was sent a set of house plans to modify. yes, I have permission. They were drawn with CAD and in DWG format. From what I can tell from previous posts, it's not possible to import the DWG and convert to a .PLAN format, allowing me to work with in Chief Architect. When I say "work with", I mean able to work with the file/ drawing just as I would any other PLAN file in Chief. I'm perfectly able to re-draw the house, but it seems crazy to do so when it's just a few modifications the client wants. I am using the latest version of Chief Architect x14.