Porch room with difficult walls to separate spaces

GeneDavis

I don't know of a short way to define this in a short topic listing, so I just threw something there.

A room addition goes onto a built house, the floor structure is exterior deck but a foundation is under part of it.  No piers, no beams.

But that is not the issue.  The roof over the space covers "open below" to terrain, and wood-framed deck.  The dividing wall between these two "room specs" which define ceiling and floor, is a segmented curve.  Post to beam rail segments, with screened upper and lower panels, 4x4 posts, one of the six segments having a screened door.  The problem I have is the tangent wall condition that exists.  See the images attached.

In the plan view I show a 48" square in the corner of the room, and the top left corner defines where a solid wall ends and joins two walls.  The straight one paralleling the roof edge and the curved one need somehow to be forced to join the solid wall at that point.  I cannot make things work.  I have tried placing a small room divider but to no avail.  I have failed trying to segment the curve into six equal facets and place post-to-beam railings along the faceted curve.

There is no floor (it's open below) in the "room" at plan top, and wood deck floor in the larger porch room.  Ceiling heights differ.  The thin wedge segment has a dropped ceiling so as to be able to house and conceal the big W12x35 steel beam needed to carry the roof load for its unsupported span of close to 26 feet.  Ground snow load is 100 psf where this is built.

I'd be happy with an invisible wall at the curve, as long as it tracked the curve exactly so as to define the deck edge.  I can do the whole segmented screen thing with solids if I have to.

But that arrowhead point, two walls coming into a solid wall, is kicking my butt.  Plan attached.

I'm gonna need steps outside also, and I cannot get anything to work there.  The steps are seating, really, with only one panel of the six having a door.  We are going to build segments, not curved steps.  I've been unsuccessful doing steps because the wall segments are all at odd angles.

Screenshot 2022-11-13 121505.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-13 121723.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-14 093417.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-14 112419.jpg

Ranch camp 2 bedroom.zip

How difficult, Glenn?  Or are you joshin' me?

I need the railing wall to be 5.5 inches with a starting and ending newel arrangement, 5,5 square bottom and mid rails, 5.5 x 16 beam at top

May we have an explanation of what it took to solve, and the file?

Or a Zoom?

Not joshin' you.

I will explain what I did when I clean things up a bit, but a lot of it was trial and error.

Does the railing have posts to beam, although you mention both newels and a beam above?

There are going to be some things that will be hard to get 100% using standard Chief practices.

I assume that grey beam across the large span is above the railing beam?

What is the storey with that post in the centre of the large beam?

Yes, a Zoom would make it a lot easier.

I see you are in Naples, Florida - I am in Sydney, Australia and I am flexible with times.

What sort of times are good for you?

Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 4.54.34 pm.jpg

The big gray thing is the W12x35 steel I-beam needed to carry the roof load.  This is to be built where the gsl (ground snow load) is 100 psf.  The post is a remnant from when I had first placed a smaller W6x20 thinking I had to be completely above the plate elevation and into the trusses.  I can and did raise the W12x35 so it's half into and half below the trusses, and the post is not needed.  The client really balked at the post, even thought their view from in the room has an array of 4x4 (3.5 inch square) wood posts between them and their terrific view through the woods and to the lake beyond.

The rear wall (plan bottom) behind the chairs needs work at its junction with the 2-panel screen wall.  The wall end is 16 feet from the bottom right corner, location dimensioned, and the screen panel wall is supposed to go point to point to join corner to corner, asbuild house to screened room.  See image.

View of the lake and a newer file attached.  I used CAD to place post locations along the screen panel wall, this in preparation for doing all the stick work in solids.

I'm going to PM some detail so we can hook up by Zoom.  Thanks.

Screenshot 2022-11-15 090715.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-15 082048.jpg

Ranch camp 2 bedroom.zip