Custom Window Labels w/ Ruby

sascea

Hello Charchitects,

I've used some of the preset macros to make some detailed window labels for my construction plan sets. I'm noticing however that, although my input in the specification dialog for some of my windows is, for example, 25 in, the resulting label has an added 1/32". How can I adjust the smallest fraction that is being picked up by this macro? I definitely don't want things to be measured down to 1/32nd.

Here are the macros I'm using:

%schedule_number% - R.O. %width% X %height% %type_code%
 SH %bottom_elevation% - HH %header_elevation%

I'm concerned about the %bottom_elevation% and %header_elevation% units. Everything otherwise seems fine.

Window Label.png

13 minutes ago, sascea said:

Hello Charchitects,

I've used some of the preset macros to make some detailed window labels for my construction plan sets. I'm noticing however that, although my input in the specification dialog for some of my windows is, for example, 25 in, the resulting label has an added 1/32". How can I adjust the smallest fraction that is being picked up by this macro? I definitely don't want things to be measured down to 1/32nd.

Here are the macros I'm using:

SH %bottom_elevation% - HH %header_elevation%

I'm concerned about the %bottom_elevation% and %header_elevation% units. Everything otherwise seems fine.

Window Label.png

You are not placing your windows exact or you are using Metric instead of imperial dimensions to place it.  If you are holding control/Cmd. and moving the window in 3d or in plan placing it by not using dimensions then even thought the dimension may show it at 11'-2 1/4" it is probably actually at 11'-2 9/32" or so but the dimension is set to round.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, sascea said:

As @rgardner mentioned, various inputs in Chief display rounded values and don't actually round the values. If you want to know the exact value, you can change the number style using the button in the bottom left corner. Decimal styles will be exact, while fractional styles will round.

image.thumb.png.6b85dc01a1e277795c2fb30d260e8d99.png

On a separate note, some of your calculations may be off, though if you want to calculate the rough opening differently than Chief using macros, that is your prerogative.

In Chief, the rough opening is added outside of the window sizing. The macros `width`, `height` and `bottom_elevation` are all based on the window size and position, while `header_elevation` includes the top rough opening. There are some nuances I won't get into, but the macros below should give the correct values according to Chief.

Width: %width%
Height: %height%
RO width: %2 * rough_opening_side + width%
RO height: %rough_opening_bottom + rough_opening_top + height%
Framing sill elevation: %header_elevation - rough_opening_top - rough_opening_bottom - height%

image.thumb.png.3e1ee1d59f6a0d256b2d2d96ecba3f81.png

• Upvote 1

Carefully read the advice given by @rgardner and @JacobB given above, but if some nuance about how you're doing things still requires or otherwise results in those fractional values that you don't want to see, you can always using the round method to round your values:

SH %bottom_elevation.round% - HH %header_elevation.round%

• Upvote 1