How To Create an Opening Between Two Staggered Platforms

DRyeHD

O wise ones,

I need some input regarding how to get an open space between two "staggered" floors (for lack of a better description).  The front area (loft) has an 11 foot ceiling.  The mid-to-back area (bedroom and bath) has a 7 1/2 foot ceiling.  Between the two areas is open all the way to the A-frame ceiling and a short stair for access between the two platforms.

When I try to use a hole in ceiling platform, I get an unwanted material along the bedroom rail and it just doesn't seem to work right (see attached picture).  Am I taking the wrong aproach using the hole in platform?  Do I need to redefine the Dining and Entry rooms below to make it work better?  Any input would be appreciated.

I've attached the .pln file.

IMG_20220719_165036920.jpg

Strickland Clg.png

Strickland.zip

David,

Sorry for the slow response.  Between the weekend and other work this morning, I'm just now getting back.  I was able to watch your full video.  It was helpful.  I had never used the "no material" option.  That took care of most of my ceiling issue.

Actually, the stairs are shown in the attached picture.  I threw those in because my customer wants to do away with the existing spiral stairs and put in a straight or u-shaped stair.  I've come up with a couple of options.  My main issue was getting the open ceiling between the staggered floors.

Thanks again for taking time to do the video.  A picture is worth 1000 words, but a video is worth a million!

Have a great day,

Damon Rye

IMG_20220719_162920431.jpg

Eric,

Thanks for taking time to make the video.  I'm just back on this project today and have corrected my design with your recommendation.   I was trying to use the "draw it like you build it" technique, but your method (and @Alaskan_Son's suggestion) seem to work the best.  Again, thanks for the input.