Walkthrough Videos

Designer1

Does anyone know how to have a continuous walkthrough if you have a two story home?   I can get the camera to walkthrough the first floor and up the stairs to the second floor but then Im not sure how to continue the walkthrough spline to continue on the same video to finish the second floor.

Second question, does anyone have any recommended setting for tilt and camera angles if you want to view a second story ceiling on the first floor?

Thanks!

Chad

Does anyone know how to have a continuous walkthrough if you have a two story home?   I can get the camera to walkthrough the first floor and up the stairs to the second floor but then Im not sure how to continue the walkthrough spline to continue on the same video to finish the second floor.

The short answer is you just draw another walkthrough path on the 2nd floor starting where the 1st floor path ends at the top of the stairs.  They should auto join to make one video.

I  started a thread about the walkthrough path not extending about two weeks ago.  Since then I gotten it to work.  No matter what I did on the first one, it would not extend.  I don't know what I was doing wrong.

To look up in the Foyer, add a Keyframe and adjust the camera to 45º.  Be sure to add Keyframes before and after that have the camera at the normal 0º

Thanks guys, the video and explanations were a giant help and worked!  I haven't used the walk through tools for about six chief versions so things in that department have changed a bit.  That video was very clear and easy to understand.  Now I think Im just focusing on learning the new tools and how to perfect it to make a smooth good video.

Thanks again!

Here's one I made.  You'll see before it goes upstairs, that it looks up into the foyer with the camera set at 45º.  When it walks up the stairs, I set the camera angle to 20º.

You can also control the speed of the walk with Keyframes.  Add a keyframes and slow down or speed up the walk.  Be sure to add keyframes before and after to take it back to normal.  In the family room it slows down a little to view a photograph I took of Pittsburgh.

HERE it is.  Be sure to view it full screen.

Greg, Good video!  Im curious what were the compression and frames per second you used?  The video appears to be very smooth.  Do you have any particular media player or codec your using?  I don't currently have the chief recommended codec of XVID but my videos seems smooth, I just couldn't figure out the angles and stairs, now Im getting a hang of it.  They also mentioned VLC players good but I didn't look into that yet.  What are you using?

Greg - your video is pretty smooth. I think mine always seems to have some jerkiness in them.

IS this 100% Chief? IF so what settings are you using?

Yes, 100% Chief, that was done in X6.

I'm on a Mac.  It's a QuickTime Movie file (*.mov), 30 frames per second, compression 75%, Techniques-Standard

EDIT: I added more detail in the post below

Greg, Good video!  Im curious what were the compression and frames per second you used?  The video appears to be very smooth.  Do you have any particular media player or codec your using?  I don't currently have the chief recommended codec of XVID but my videos seems smooth, I just couldn't figure out the angles and stairs, now Im getting a hang of it.  They also mentioned VLC players good but I didn't look into that yet.  What are you using?

QuickTime Movie file (*.mov), 30 frames per second, compression 75%, Techniques-Standard.  I'm on a Mac, so QuickTime is a default for video.  In Windows (*.wmv) would be similar.

I make the walkthrough at first with a low frame rate like 10 frames per second.  I keep tweeting it until I get what I want and then for the final version I use 30 frames per second.  I choose 30 fps because that's the rate my HD camcorder uses.   My camcorder is 1920x1080 - 30 fps  also known as 1080 30P.. This is a good size and frame rate if you're going to burn it to BluRay and is a video industry standard.

​Whether it's (*.mov),  (*.wmv) or (*.mp4) or other file format shouldn't matter that much.  The only time it would matter is if you were going to edit it in a video editing program like Sony Vegas or Adobe Premier, then (*.mov) or  (*.wmv) would be the better choice because it's less compressed than  (*.mp4)

• 4 months later...