Foundation Wall Schedule - Footing Width and Depth Varies

wazzubrad

Guys, I am starting to find some of the limitations that I see discussed in the forums and am wondering if this is one of those. The current plan I am working on has various footing widths and depths specified by the engineer for the foundation walls. While trying to create a wall schedule that will show each wall based on footing width and depth and when I look at the available macro's under Object Properties for a macro I don't see anything specific to the footing depth. Anyone know if this property exists for a foundation wall?

image.thumb.png.4ec34129de201838a9cc57643a5d76fb.png

5 hours ago, wazzubrad said:

I don't see anything specific to the footing depth. Anyone know if this property exists for a foundation wall?

It does not.  I suspect the main reason Chief hasn't provided it (aside from not enough people sending in requests) is because although we can set a default height, the truth is that the height can be absolutely anything (even an infinite number of values) for any given wall because the footing shape can be freely resized/reshaped in elevation.  Here's what we do have though:

• thickness of footing - This actually reports what I would call the width though
  • area of footing - This reports the cross sectional area of the footing polyline
  • length of wall - This reports the length of the wall though which may or may not match the length of the footing

You can get a very rough approximation of the footing height by taking the area and diving that by the length of the wall, but the results will depend on how the footing joins with adjacent footings and on whether or not the wall or its footing has been resized/reshaped in elevation.  Its almost never going to be completely accurate. 

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    JLRenovations
    Newest Member
    JLRenovations

• By FT2design
      Automatically generated schedules…items that are added to a cabinet box such as a wall oven or lavatory show up in the schedule but I cannot seem to edit/control the name like I can with a free-standing item like a toilet or fridge. I have tried opening the cabinet dialogue box for that item to alter the individual component data so that the output in my schedule says what I need it to, but aside from renaming the cabinet label and assigning the cabinet as a plumbing fixture I don’t seem to be able to have the right control. Can anyone point me to a tutorial or reference a topic where this is covered? I keep chasing my tail searching for any tips and can’t find anything specific to my issue.
    • By gravattedesign
      My Note Label symbols are scaling larger than the layer font for the note text. This causes schedules to come in much larger when dropped into Layout. Schedules are created in a CAD DETAIL page in the PLAN file then dropped onto a layout page at the same scale as the drawing view the notes are linked. Please help with this anomaly. I have included a PDF with Screen shots of a sample layout page, Schedule and Layer settings.

Thank you for anyoone who may be able to shed some light on this issue.
      22-0110-CHIEF ISSUES-GDS-Schedule Note scaling in layout.pdf
    • By Allen43
      I have returned to this forum once again in seek some help with ruby and macros.

I have been working on a macro to automate cabinet labels. So far I have a mostly working macro, but I feel like my hands are tied and my eyes are closed. First of all the documentation on chief implementation of ruby and its capabilities it really lacking. And second, I don't have the Ruby terminal. I think this is because I am running Interiors, but am not sure as all Chief says is that there is limited use of Ruby in this version.

Anyways, right now I would love to have a list of all callable object attributes. I honestly don't even know if that is the right name for what I am looking for. I am trying to find a list of what info I can scrape from a cabinet. So, what can I put after obj. (ie. obj.width, obj.type)? I think I could find this by running the selected.names command in the terminal, but I have no way of knowing.

This is my current macro. It is built from parts of a macro from @MarkMc and whatever I have been able to come up with from random trial and error. If you see something I could improve on, I am open to suggestions as long as they have a good explanation with them. Thanks in advance!

Macro:
      obj = owner
      obj = referenced unless referenced.nil?
      obj.depth

type = obj.type.to_s

nf = NumberFormatter.new
      nf.unit = 'in'
      nf.use_fractions = true
      nf.show_unit = false
      nf.apply(obj.depth)

standard_size = 24.0 if type == 'base_cabinet'
      standard_size = 12.0 if type == 'wall_cabinet'
      standard_size = 24.0 if type == 'full_height_cabinet'

depth = nf.apply(obj.depth) if obj.depth.to_f != standard_size

standard_size_height = 36 if type == 'base_cabinet'
      standard_size_height = 0.0 if type == 'full_height_cabinet'

height = nf.apply(obj.height) if obj.height.to_f != standard_size_height

width = nf.apply(obj.width)

nomen = 'B' if type == 'base_cabinet'
      nomen = 'W' if type == 'wall_cabinet'
      nomen = 'T' if type == 'full_height_cabinet'

hinging = owner.door_swing
      label = ""
      label << nomen << width.to_s << height.to_s << depth.to_s << hinging

p label

• By DRyeHD
      I'm looking for input on how to best use schedules in my .pln file and on my layout pages.  Per my screenshots, I have created several note schedules.  They are on separate CAD Details in my .pln template.  I have copied and pasted them to my .pln for reference.

I try to put the applicable schedule on the layout page that it corresponds to so tradesmen don't have to reference just one notes page.  The preliminary note schedule is used just for preliminary work; likewise, the roof notes on the roof plan layout page, site notes on the site plan layout page, and remodel notes on remodel layout page.  The floor plan layout page usually contains the construction, plumbing, HVAC, cabinet, and trim note schedules.

Is there a way to place the note schedules on the applicable pages of my layout template?  This would eliminate opening each CAD Detail and sending it to a layout page each time I work on a new layout for a specific plan.

If there is not a way to have the note schedules on my layout template pages (before I save it as a specific customer layout), is there a more efficient way than what I am currently doing?

Thanks in advance for your input.

• By Allen43
      I'll new to Chief and have learned that this form might be one of the best resources I have ever used. I am trying to streamline my design process and to do that I would love to be able to change cabinet ends to finished or paneled faster and easier. I tried to make a SP to do this, but I couldn't figure it out. I also thought that there might be a way to do this with macros is a SP, but I know even less about macros than I do Chief.

Any help is appreciated, and if it's not possible that's fine I'll know not to spend more time on this.