Determining Daylight And Vent Requirements

sjalheim

I've searched and searched but to no avail. 

I've been using X2 for a few years but never dabbled into doing much automating of information, but now with X6 I'm determined to make my life easier! 

My question is this: I have a block of text in each room that shows the total square feet of that room:

TOTAL SF - %room.area.internal%

DLO REQ'D -

ACTUAL

VENT REQ'D -

ACTUAL -

I'd LIKE to have the daylight and vent requirements calculated for me by multiplying the %room.area.internal% by 0.08 and the vent by 0.04.  Is this possible? I've tried messing with Ruby but we're not on speaking terms anymore.

(As a side note, I have the DLO and Vent as added columns in my window components, which I add the sq. ft. to manually. Ideally I'd like that info, which populates the schedule, to populate that little text box and do all the math for me.) 

It's possible with Ruby but more work than it's worth.  The problem is that there's no connection between the window and the room.  You can get the room area into a global variable but you would have to have a separate macro for each window that would access the global for the room that it's located in.

OTOH, it would be fairly simple to have that data displayed in the room label - at least you would be able to see it so it would be easier to add to your schedule.

I'm not up to "fairly simple" in my learning curve yet. ;)  Does CA or Ruby offer the ability to multiply %room.area.internal% by .08 and display the correct answer? You're right, being able to see it would suffice at this point.

Boy,  where have you been?  I have tried to do what you are trying to do with limited success.  I found it was more trouble than it is worth.  We are hoping that with X7 or maybe X8 CA will address this kind of stuff.

What you are asking for is very important stuff and we should be able to achieve this without taxing our inferior brain cells......  we are waiting for CA to put this type of stuff together.

In the meantime,  you can try to figure it out and if you do,  let me know how to do it.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...
On 1/13/2015 at 5:49 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

Sure, the output (last line of the macro) would be:

%room.area.internal%*0.08

or the macro could be:

DLO_REQD = %room.area.internal%*0.08

return DLO_REQD

hi Joe, when I use the macro you provided it does not give the expected result. Any reason?