Import dwg files

johnmarkey

My import dwg files in CA has stopped working. It will start the wizard and go to finish, but stalls out on Reading drawing file into memory. I have successfully imported ACAD dwg files of this size into CA in the past, now it stalls.

I am an architect and have been using CA since 1994. It's the first CAD I learned right out of school, I still prefer it. I have to use AutoCAD because it is the language of the industry. That said, I use CA for 99% of my cad work. CA has never been good at importing ACAD dwg, or dealing with large project files. The capability in the software is not there. It is most definitely a CA software problem, not hardware. I have complained to CA staff over the years about these problems. The answer I get is "we are marketing to homebuilders and contractors and not professional architects and engineers." We are now paying CA professional quality software prices, we should get it.

That's my rant, I still need any help I can get with importing dwg file into CA.

John,

First off we need to know what version of Chief you are running.

Yes chief has a hard time with acad files and I usually try and avoid it. What exactlly are you trying to import that cant be made in chief?

Also how large is the file in question?

What version of acad was it exported to? 

What is different from the past imports you have had success with?

Michael,

Thanks for responding. I'm running CA X12. The file is ACAD 2021, large, 65 acre, mixed-use Site Plan. Numerous roadways, bldg footprints, lake, park, street furniture etc. It is lots of cad line work which CA struggles with even when created in CA file format. I have successfully imported the same file, but previous revision with more bldgs.

Any advice is appreciated.

John

Have you scrubbed the file in ACAD and stripped out all the stuff you don't need? Maybe reducing the file size, and the amount of data, will help.

Or post the file if you can and let the community give it a try.