Creating 7.2 Panel Material

ChiefArchJosh

Hello! I am a PM for a GC and have very little experience with Chief Architect. That being said, I am trying to create a 7.2 panel corten siding material. If I open the library browser (Ctrl+L), right-click User Catalog, and select New Material I do not see anywhere to draw the 7.2 panels. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction or let me know where I can download a 7.2 panel?

Additionally, how do I get the corten look? Thanks in advance

You might want to take a look in the core libraries at the metal sidings that already ship with the program.  If one of these is close enough, then I would just use it. 

There are also some other sidings available for download in the 3D Library (although I don't know if there are any more metal sidings).  You can look for them here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/3d-library/

If you can't find one that is close enough, then I would start with something from the core libraries that is at least somewhat close and then copy it to your user library (instead of starting from scratch). 

Here is a tech article with some general information to help get you started:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01006/customizing-a-library-material.html

There are bunch of other articles and videos related to customizing materials as well.  If you run into a specific problem, you might want to post back with more details and someone might be able to help.  If all else fails, you might also one to contact tech support.

1 hour ago, ChiefArchJosh said:

Hello! I am a PM for a GC and have very little experience with Chief Architect. That being said, I am trying to create a 7.2 panel corten siding material. If I open the library browser (Ctrl+L), right-click User Catalog, and select New Material I do not see anywhere to draw the 7.2 panels. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction or let me know where I can download a 7.2 panel?

Additionally, how do I get the corten look? Thanks in advance

Hi , you don't need to draw anything , Chief's materials are Images (Textures) but it appears as if Corten 7.2 is just Ribbed Metal Roofing which Chief has in the Core Library >Material>Sheetmetal>Ribbed , which can likely be altered/colored as needed.

https://www.cortenroofing.com/corten-western-rib-7-2-siding-panel-a606-4-weathering-steel.html

I appears you are new here so please do your signature so we know which version of Chief Premier you are using, thanks.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/18908-signature-here-at-chief-talk/?tab=comments#comment-155662

For anyone in the future, I will tell you how to draw materials you need since it doesn't seem like people here know how.

To make a 7.2 panel:

• find a dimensioned image of a 7.2 panel online with dimensions
  • copy image, paste it into the layout
  • resize it so that the dimensions are correct
  • draw a polyline rectangle around the 7.2 panel and create breaks and resize it so that it matches the image
  • delete the image
  • convert the polyline. It's easiest to convert it to a concrete slab if it's going to be exterior siding starting at the ground. 
  • select the height
  • copy the material every 36" with the tool that allows you to do that
  • voila!
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, ChiefArchJosh said:

For anyone in the future, I will tell you how to draw materials you need since it doesn't seem like people here know how

Comments like that will win you a lot of friends around here....

And had we had all the information to begin with someone would of told you how to do it much easier in Chief.....

KB.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, ChiefArchJosh said:

For anyone in the future, I will tell you how to draw materials you need since it doesn't seem like people here know how.

To make a 7.2 panel:

• find a dimensioned image of a 7.2 panel online with dimensions
  • copy image, paste it into the layout
  • resize it so that the dimensions are correct
  • draw a polyline rectangle around the 7.2 panel and create breaks and resize it so that it matches the image
  • delete the image
  • convert the polyline. It's easiest to convert it to a concrete slab if it's going to be exterior siding starting at the ground. 
  • select the height
  • copy the material every 36" with the tool that allows you to do that
  • voila!

Agree you are not going to make many friends like that.  And What is up with your signature?  Looks like you copied @Kbird1's signature to yours?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rgardner said:

Agree you are not going to make many friends like that.  And What is up with your signature?  Looks like you copied @Kbird1's signature to yours?

Well that's interesting :huh: ...... and a 1st around here , at least for me......

Doesn't the saying go something like "Imitation is the highest form of flattery"  :).......  thanks Josh !

Mick.

• Like 1