Wall Layers Reverse on Snapping Wall to Wall

TFreeman01

Plan attached...

Level 1, Working around the construction line as seen in the capture below...

Exterior Walls -- 8" Concrete Foundation with 1" Foam CI Interior Changes to the 6" Siding Wall at the Construction Line

Added a Wall with a 1/2" Air Gap in place of the exterior drywall, and changed to a furred wall.

When the furred wall snaps to the foundation wall everywhere else it works.

When the furred wall snaps to the foundation wall at the construction line, the layers reverse (dry wall is next to foam).

Drag the furred wall away from the foundation wall and the layers reverse to the correct orientation.

Tried in about every combination and edit I could try.

As a first time CA user, I suspect strongly it is something I am doing wrong - again.

Did search forum and web, but nothing close was found.  Have not submitted to Tech Support, assume it is something I am doing...

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Lot 28 Comb - 17.plan

image.thumb.png.e3cbc8cfaa6df0fd06cfae071916a9c3.png

Lot 28 Comb - 17.plan

The best advice is not to used the "Furred" Wall Option and make a Wall Definition that includes the Airgap, Stud and Drywall , this avoids other issues as well like accidently creating a 1 inch wide "Room" between the FDN Wall and the Framed Wall.

image.thumb.png.358f8e66534b9aa0b695a949ed17f92c.png

• Downvote 1

I played around with the furred wall and I could not get it to reverse layers.  You must be doing something different than what I did.

Regardless, whenever you have a wall automatically switch layers and you don't want it to, you can always manually reverse the layers using the Edit toolbar button.  Once you manually reverse the layers, the program should not automatically change it anymore.  

You can also manually create a new wall type (as suggested by Mick) that combines the layers for both.  I'm not sure that one way is better than the other though.

6 minutes ago, Dermot said:

I played around with the furred wall and I could not get it to reverse layers.  You must be doing something different than what I did.

Regardless, whenever you have a wall automatically switch layers and you don't want it to, you can always manually reverse the layers using the Edit toolbar button.  Once you manually reverse the layers, the program should not automatically change it anymore.  

You can also manually create a new wall type (as suggested by Mick) that combines the layers for both.  I'm not sure that one way is better than the other though.

I am very sure - furred walls need to Touch the other Wall, if you leave the AirGap, strange things happen and you'll end up with a 1/2" -1" wide "Room" around the whole basement which leads to other Issues due to Chief's "Room Based Paradigm".  I am not actually sure why anyone would use "furred" when a new wall definition is inherently better ( why spend time drawing two sets of walls?) and without the "furred wall setting" issues.

Furred Walls
The recommended method for creating furring is to simply add the required air gap, framing, and finish layers to the wall type of your choice.

Alternatively, though, Double Walls can be used, with the inner wall being specified as a Furred Wall.

Furred Walls are placed against the inside of a primary wall, typically an exterior wall. An example is a concrete wall furred out by a framed wall with an air gap or insulation between them.

Rooms are defined in the normal manner by the primary wall, but the layers of the Furred Wall are treated by the program as though they were added to the primary. An air gap between the primary and furred walls should be defined as a layer of one of the walls, usually the furred wall.

As with Frame Through walls, Furred Walls do not split platforms or connected walls. Unlike Frame Through walls, they do not connect or frame to non-parallel walls like normal walls. Instead, they will connect to other Furred Walls.

To create a Furred Wall, specify the primary wall as a Frame Through wall and the furred wall as a Furred Wall on the Structure panel of the Wall Specification dialog.

I had a play with your plan and could not get the layers to reverse.

The only thing I could think of that would cause that behaviour is the Auto Reverse Wall Layers setting, but even changing that setting did not cause the wall layers to reverse.

Did not want to be that guy that doesn't get back with follow up.

I went with Kbird1 suggestion and added a new wall definition. 

Not marking as a solution as the CA videos and other help materials suggest to use the "Furred Wall" option. 

For me, the wall (and that wall only) continues to reverse the layers when snapping to the "Siding 6" exterior wall.

Using the "Reverse Layers" tool has no effect.

Thanks all for the input...

24 minutes ago, TFreeman01 said:

Did not want to be that guy that doesn't get back with follow up.

I went with Kbird1 suggestion and added a new wall definition. 

Not marking as a solution as the CA videos and other help materials suggest to use the "Furred Wall" option. 

For me, the wall (and that wall only) continues to reverse the layers when snapping to the "Siding 6" exterior wall.

Using the "Reverse Layers" tool has no effect.

Thanks all for the input...

Not quite sure what you are doing as like others I can't get the "reversing issue" in your Plan.....

image.thumb.png.d98e4f76abbdc452fd7d8f89f6391d75.png  image.thumb.png.d8cb75a41f6701c63b1b007a7628268c.png