rotate objects around a specified point

madcowscarnival

Go to solution Solved by glennw,

Is there an updated method to rotate selected objects or groups around a user defined center point?  I tried the method in topic 12425 with no luck.  Placed a point marker in the center of the structure, edit behavior to rotate about current point (cursor appearance changes), but objects till rotate around their "own" center point.

The ability to rotate various objects around my center point would be immensely useful; I'm trying to set up a "grain bin" house with a single center point.  Especially things like cabinets and door locations.  That one post appears to be the only one referencing a user point, but its ~5 years old now. 

Thanks for any help all.

There is the  "Rotate/Resize About Current Point" tool 1783395160_RotateResizeAboutCurrentPointtool.JPG.7e6a482e24f58e027473faa0d174d84f.JPG

As well as a setting in "Transform/Replicate Object" that both use the "Current Point"  that work great depending on the accuracy required.

Are you sure you were using the "current" point ?  That is about the only deficiency of those tools since you can't be actively using points for other things.

The other option is to center your grain bin on 0,0 and rotate about that, which is possibly the way you made the bin in the first place.

Thanks chopsaw, that is the tool that appeared on my cursor, but no dice.  I just manually moved my structure to 0,0 but it doesn't seem to work either.  Selecting objects brings up a rotate handle based on that object or that group alone.  I'll try to suss it out in the morning, I appreciate the quick response.