Can you help me build a side duct?

bdillard1

Go to solution Solved by joey_martin,

• Solution

If that is buried in the wall than why model it? Take care of it in the MEP plan or dashed CAD lines in an elevation view. 

Having said that. Do you have a duct chase designed yet in the wall. You cannot go horizontal across all those vertical framing members...load bearing or not. You can create the duct with a 3D molding polyline, but again, only if you already have an adequate chase.

Also. What type of fireplace insert are you using? What is the combustion source? Can you vent it horizontally by code or manufactures specs? If you can, what is the maximum horizontal run you can vent that particular unit?

• Like 1

That's the thing - it won't be buried in the wall to the side of the fireplace - I need to make a walled in box big enough for the vent to fit through.   I I put it up over that shelf area I can pretty much hide it with pictures and things in front of it on the shelf.

Great questions

The insert is the heat & glo 8000 IFTLP.

Combustion source - propane

According to the manufacturer, 

Distance I believe is 11' with an elbow - 3'

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AonCBRorVv74rGzNgCpjWtZYtTrv?e=K9KtxO

DOOH - code says I can't have it near my windows so I'm glad you brought that to my attention.   I guess it will have to go through my roof after all - or go with a ventless fireplace.   

• Downvote 1

I am building in California so it will differ. I would check with your local authority as local codes can be more restrictive than state or national.

"TERMINATION OF ALL ENVIRONMENTAL AIR DUCTS SHALL BE A MIN. OF 3 FEET FROM ANY OPENINGS INTO THE BUILDING (E.G. DRYERS, BATH AND UTILITY FANS, ETC. MUST BE 3 FEET AWAY FROM DOORS, WINDOWS, OPENINGS, SKYLIGHTS, OR ATTIC VENTS.)"

10' away and 2' above is a code item for wood burning fireplaces. Most gas vents require only 18" above adjacent surfaces. But, that said, the manufacturer will have a clear guidelines in their installation manual. If you have a subcontractor installing this, they might be a good resource  to help you out with the logistics of what is possible on that horizontal run. You will still want to allow for some pitch (up) on that horizontal run. Keep in mind, those side vent covers are pretty big and ugly.