Why does my little closet's ceiling height change the height of the flooring over it?

bdillard1

One way might be to define the "Ceiling Finish" in a way that it might be built with an "Air Gap" then 2 x 4 ceiling framing 'Auto Detailed' as Insulation, then sound board below and finally drywall.

EDIT: and to answer your question more directly, that's how Chief works.

This dbx will get you to the 88" ceiling height but it's always good to wait for the smart guys to offer another method.

BASEMENT CEILING.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bdillard1 said:

Thanks - I've updated the file - I'm doing something wrong though.  I'm trying to make the height of the little closet 88" but I must not have followed something in your explanation.   If you could take another look I would appreciate it.

Not at my computer but in the original plan the layers were all reversed with drywall on top and the remaining layers below that. Maybe those layers are the correct size as the dialog box shows but in that incorrect order? Study that dialog box again in the ceiling structure finish tab and you should get the 88" you are looking for.

Or try a shelf ceiling as 'help' will direct.

• Like 1

Thanks - I

15 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Not at my computer but in the original plan the layers were all reversed with drywall on top and the remaining layers below that. Maybe those layers are the correct size as the dialog box shows but in that incorrect order? Study that dialog box again in the ceiling structure tab and you should get the 88" you are looking for.

Thanks I'll give that a try.  

I tried an failed miserably.   I got no roof this time - I've updated the plan and uploaded it.  I really think I followed your instructions but obviously not.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

16 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Not at my computer but in the original plan the layers were all reversed with drywall on top and the remaining layers below that. Maybe those layers are the correct size as the dialog box shows but in that incorrect order? Study that dialog box again in the ceiling structure tab and you should get the 88" you are looking for.

Thanks.  I tried doing it using this video - https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/64/using-the-shelf-ceiling-room-structure-setting.html

I ended up getting a room that looks like something heavy got put on top of it.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

I'm not sure what step I missed.

13 minutes ago, bdillard1 said:

Thanks - I

Thanks I'll give that a try.  

I tried an failed miserably.   I got no roof this time - I've updated the plan and uploaded it.  I really think I followed your instructions but obviously not.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Double check ALL of the boxes and settings in the dialog box. The pic posted shows drywall, selected in blue, as "framing" in that little check box below the layer settings. Two things make sure the framing layer is set to fir framing as a texture/material and make sure it is also set to framing as the drywall layer is incorrectly set to.

• Like 1

Good morning. The video suggests that a Shelf Ceiling is the best method but Chief 'Help' actually suggests the Air Gap technique for a Dropped Ceiling but a Shelf Ceiling works in this case as well. Hope this helps. A couple plans as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vdxci23yo8umk0e/Nutella3rdD23e (1)C.plan?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogizhxoyfx7z2ie/Nutella3rdD23e (1) (B.plan?dl=0

• Like 1