Trouble importing Topo (DWG\DXF) maps.

65Shelby

Hello-
I had a survey company do a Topo of our property on Lake CdA and I cannot get the Topo to import correctly.  I reached out to both Danielle and Kayla and asked if they could look at my files.  (I am thinking they might be corrupt).  I have also reached out to the Surveyor and awaiting response from him.
Is there anyone I can ask someone to just look at my files and see if they are corrupt?  I cant even tell you how many hours I have tried to import these.
My ultimate goal is to use my topo to start designing a house.  I need to present ballpark ideas to Kootenai County and potential excavators for bids.
Any help would be appreciated.
If posting these files are against rules I apologize, please remove the files.
Dell Precision 7760
RTX A4000
Home Designer Pro 23.3.0.81x64

21-082 SNELL TOPO1.dxf 21-082 SNELL TOPO.dwg 21-082 SNELL TOPO.pdf

When importing any cad file, it's important to take note of the area that fills the screen. There are often some items very far away from the bulk of the drawing which can make it hard to locate the intended drawing. Fill screen and marquee select are a great way to find these items and control their display...or just to delete them. 

Thanks again Robert.  I think from here on out it will be my education.  Right now, I click on "Fill Window" in 3D and the screen is still blank.

So I create a foundation wall then switch to '3D Perspective Full Overview', I can see the wall but its still on a flat plane. 
I will watch some more of these videos and see if I can figure out how to get the different elevations to pop.  Ironically I am headed out there this weekend, so I have nothing but time to experiment and give myself a headache.
:)
Thank you again,
Jerrell

2022-02-11 15_50_14-Window.jpg

2022-02-11 15_51_22-Window.jpg

2 hours ago, ChiefJSnell said:

see if I can figure out how to get the different elevations to pop

You need to convert the major Contour lines ( Red) in Chief to Elevation Data ( Lines ) and set the Heights on each one....

The DWG doesn't do that automatically , at least not in this case.....

* do NOT let Elevation DATA touch or cross each other or weird and wonderful things will happen :)  eg spikes and holes....

Yellow data is not needed, Chief will generate the secondary contours automatically.

Mick.

image.thumb.png.849485b70171e2e14338ef0c41ee8035.png

Thanks Mick, did you do that quickly to show how dumb I am... Heheh.  I envy you guys, you truly know your craft and what you are doing.  I dont know how to convert contour lines but will look that up this weekend.  You answered a HUGE thing for me as I thought it would populate them automatically... so thank you for that.
Really do appreciate you guys helping.
Jerrell

38 minutes ago, ChiefJSnell said:

quickly to show how dumb I am... Heheh

Of course not...... :) 

I just took the top and bottom lines* in Robert's DWG and converted them to Elevation lines and input the Heights , Chief did the rest Auto.

* you need a minimum of 2 Elev. Data points/lines to force the Terrain to move.....

image.thumb.png.0af82908c4d7dc9f19eca38bfd6a5ae9.png image.thumb.png.4b6c01ffbcb523bf6a20d8307126f4ef.png image.thumb.png.90978b829757bd5c47be18d52fb9e6fb.png image.thumb.png.ae7b69c177acb25f95b7009ac099362a.png

Ok I am about to give up.  I entered all the coords as per Micks recommendation, it tells me it has 2million point to calculate... when I do it, it spits out a 3D image that is MILES high and then adds these green areas to the NW and SE of my property...

2022-02-13 20_11_32-Chief Architect Premier X13.jpg

2022-02-13 20_14_32-Chief Architect Premier X13.jpg

8 minutes ago, ChiefJSnell said:

adds these green areas to the NW and SE of my property...

You must have your Terrain Perimeter (TP) way too big to generate out there , and because your Elevation Data does not extend to the edge of the TP

Chief WILL generate it's own data to "fill" in the blanks....

Try using just the Purple Line ( your PL ) as the TP , ( pull TP lines in and snap to purple lines) 

and regenerate with these settings making sure the elevation date is OVER the TP Lines.

image.thumb.png.4ff88f4e49bfc850b0154bcdb14d9a89.png

image.thumb.png.1c44df189c3ff12f6be694906c81bcad.png

image.thumb.png.83f16e3b42ce104bd472345241b93862.png

Thanks to everyone who assisted.  I was able to sit down and figure out what to do.  I have all my elevations entered, even have blue water (lake) at the bottom and paved road at the top.  Part of my problem was the TOPO had our deck and stairs in the map with a zero elevation.  Once that was removed the terrain laid out nicely.

Now to start building!
Jerrell