Default Text Style?

simonas

Please see screenshot attached.

Can anyone tell me what this text style is used for?

I understand it with Window Label text style, but what about Window layer on any other that is not connected with any text

Question is not clear.

dshall,

in the Windows layer I understand what line style does, as well as weight and color.. but text style? what text on windows layer? if I change it to some other, where do I see that difference if no text is on this layer.?

If you look farther below you will see a block that says text style and to the right it say define, if you select that you can make your text anything you want for that item and when you open the define box you will see what the default text style is and you can change all of the in your default setup or in your annotation sets for each set

..... if I change it to some other, where do I see that difference if no text is on this layer.?

Of course you will not see a difference if there is no text on layer.  It controls text style,  if no text,  what would it control?  There is no text.

You will only see a difference if there is text and IF THE TEXT IS STYLE IS CONTROLLED BY LAYER.  If the text style is not controlled by layer,  it makes no difference what the test style is for that layer because the text IS NOT CONTROLLED BY LAYER.  

Not sure if that answer sufficed.

Thanks for your help, I got it, although it is quit useless. and yes I do use "control by text layer" for my texts.

But this text style is not very useful I must say.

Instead of it I would like to see "label text style" for this layer or something like this. So if you assign something to this layer it's layer can be controlled through this setting.

This is just suggestion on how to fix this issue with labels for every different item in the plan.

For example I would like to have sink for kitchen and sink for bathroom on different layers and show label for kitchen sink only. Now we don't have this flexibility. It's all on one fixtures layer.

For example I would like to have sink for kitchen and sink for bathroom on different layers and show label for kitchen sink only. Now we don't have this flexibility. It's all on one fixtures layer.

Now I understand what you are looking for.  I get it......  however....  there must be a limitation in that....  do you want a different layer for every single item?  But I do understand what you are looking for and it could be useful in some situations if we had the flexibility to accomplish what you are asking for.

you could put your text in where you want it the put each txt on a different layer lets say kitchen text, then another txt layer saying bathroom text then you can use the layer painter to put what you want on those layers or just select those items and change there text to the text layer you want them to be on, another way is to do it through different annotation sets, I have an electrical annotation set which I have the electrical text on a layer named nothing other then electrical text, this way all my electrical notes show up only when I have that annotation set on

...do you want a different layer for every single item?

No I don't want separate layer for every item, but I want to control labels for all layers, now we have only those, which Chief give us.

dshall I'm happy you understand my needs here please form this as a suggestion for X7 for me it's difficult to put it in english :)

... I have an electrical annotation set which I have the electrical text on a layer named nothing other then electrical text, this way all my electrical notes show up only when I have that annotation set on

I do exactly same as you Ray, I have separate electrical text layer for electrical notes only, I'm very happy with how Chief handles our text notes, but I would like to see more options in layer labels as well. 

Simonas:

Have you created your own defined text styles for window lables, door lables, etc.?  Doesn't that give you what you want?

This is not what I meant here:

Lets say I want to show furniture labels, but not all, only for living room.

Or lets say I want to show fixtures in kitchen and not in bathroom like here is screenshot. 

Now we don't have this option. It's all on one layer, but worst of it is that we have only one layer "Fixtures, Labels" for all fixtures.

My suggestion is this:

If I need I can create two layers : "Fixtures, Kitchen" and "Fixtures, Bathroom" but Labels for each layer should be controlled from layer properties.

Now in layer properties we have this "Text Style"which is pretty useless ( its only if you use layer for text notes)

I would like to see there "Layer Label Text" so you are able to control not only text notes added to this layer but layer label as well.

And if you don't need this you just have all on one layer as it is now.

In my opinion to have two different layers - one for item and other for its label is wrong.

post-1751-0-66826400-1420292666_thumb.png