Room labels wont show on some of the plan unless the interior dimensions are turned on?

Digger873

Room labels wont show on some of the plan unless the interior dimensions are turned on?

I have been through the help files, but can find nothing to address this. The strange part is its only some of the labels not all of them.

I have a second person working on these plans off  of a one drive file. My suspicion is that the difference is in that but I dont know how to correct it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jared

Test-stick frame.zip

I have a second person working on these plans off of a one drive file. My suspicion is that the difference is in that but I don't know how to correct it.  Any ideas?

If something is not being displayed correctly or it has the wrong display attributes (line style, line color, line weight, or wrong text style), then it is most often a layer problem.

Let's just go ahead and blame your coworker for now.  I have no idea if they put the room labels on a different layer on purpose or by accident, but it seems more like an accident.  Maybe they were using the layer painter and accidently clicked on a room label?  You should always pay attention to the information in the status bar when using one of the painter tools since this will help you to determine that you are really painting the correct layer onto the correct object.

You might want to have them watch some of the layer related training videos starting here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/4/understanding-layers.html

Thanks for the help guys. My guy is just learning chief and I know just enough to be dangerous, but it is easier to blame him.

:rolleyes:

I am pretty sure it was an accident. I just thought it might be something in the difference between the 2 pcs.

That was it Dermot, not sure how he managed that but that was the problem.

Thanks again.

BTW How do I know or control how the total living area is calculated. It is always less than a manual take off.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Digger873 said:

BTW How do I know or control how the total living area is calculated. It is always less than a manual take off

Living Area is controlled by the Room Specifications. Certain room types contribute to the Living Area and others do not. And like many things in Chief, these defaults can be customized or controlled manually on a per-room basis.

To see what is included in the Living Area calculation, single click about 1 foot outside of the building. The Exterior Room will be highlighted and the Make Living Area Polyline tool will become active. Single click this tool to create the polyline. Note that changing the shape of this polyline will not affect how the Living Area is calculated.

• Like 1

I am just trying to verify where it measures from. So what is the main layer? The outside of the framing? The middle of the wall?

Im aware that it only includes rooms marked Include in Living area, and of what the real estate standard is but when I do a manual take off it is always different/more than what Chief does.

I have not worried about it much untill recently when a subcontractor did a manual take off and came up with more sq ft than chief did also and wasnt very happy, seeing as he is paid by the square ft.