Garage Stem wall

IvanCyr

Hi all,

Was wondering if there's a quick setting here that I'm missing. I've attached 3 images of my garage; foundation room, slab room (floor 1) and cross section.  The garage slab is to be located 56.25" below rough main floor (zero reference).  Concrete stem wall is to be 12" above slab.  I do NOT want to see the exterior cladding pushing vertically downward onto the garage stem wall section above the garage slab.  There are NO pony walls set in the garage.

Thx in advance.

1748557264_GarageFoundationroomdbx.thumb.png.81656989b419804c881ab812380e2434.png256240457_GarageSlabRoomdbx.thumb.png.1e5aa07445e41b79c226040da720a105.png

Garage X-section.png

1 hour ago, rgardner said:

You need to set your 0 level walls to use a pony wall with the foundation height set to the -44.25” point and the wall above what we framed wall you want to show there.

Works well.  Thank you!  Point of clarification.  When Chief auto creates a garage, it does NOT use a pony wall...where is the difference here??  If you care to comment.

Thanks,

Ivan

4 hours ago, IvanCyr said:

where is the difference here??  If you care to comment.

When you designate a room as a garage type then Chief just changes basically 3 items in the structure tab of the room DBX. 
1) floor height drops.
2) stem wall shrinks and

3) the check box is removed from “floor under this room” to a check in “floor supplied by the foundation room below. 

It’s their way of helping you get started and creating the illusion that Chief somehow knows something magical, and then you’re supposed to say, wow!

This smoke and mirrors approach often creates more confusion than anything else. 

Sarcasm aside, you should get real comfortable with pony walls.  They are the proper way to define walls such as the ones you are describing here.  They have another advantage as you can create step foundation walls without those walls re-healing or re-joining after you’ve split them to create a step wall. 

I also build in the Montreal area and I’m pretty sure you are looking to drop the brick line of your garage facade wall so it’s only 12” above your driveway so you don’t get that unsightly 42” of barren concrete just in front of where your poor client is going to park his bmw…

The best way to do this again is with a pony wall.  You’ll be able wrap that wall onto the side of the home for that first 24” which is also pretty common.

Also, you don’t want to build a knee wall (because of compression issues) probably for the dropped facade of your garage wall which is what Chief will do if you decide to mess around with the brick ledge feature, don’t do that. Stick to a pony wall.

Also don’t drag the exterior brick finish down and foundation up to create what you’re looking for, this is chaos.  Besides being chaos you never really know the elevation of what you’re dragging down or up.  As for the pony wall you do and this information can allow you to accurately place ledges/sills to divide, for example a lower stone wall, and upper brick or siding wall. You’ll know exactly where your window will sit above your sill. 

Hope that helps. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

I also build in the Montreal area and I’m pretty sure you are looking to drop the brick line of your garage facade wall so it’s only 12” above your driveway so you don’t get that unsightly 42” of barren concrete just in front of where your poor client is going to park his bmw…

The best way to do this again is with a pony wall.  You’ll be able wrap that wall onto the side of the home for that first 24” which is also pretty common.

Salut Michael,

Bonne fete!

Indeed, you are correct, albeit whether or not he has a BMW, I doubt it, likely a 3/4 ton diesel 4x4.

It is more a question regarding how Chief put this together.  The auto feature works great.  What is confusing to me is that this garage was initially set in Chief as a detached garage and I set it all up manually.  Client desired to have an attached garage so I pt-to-pt moved the structure to the house.  I had to make foundation adjustments.  Then the stem wall was showing fine, but the exterior cladding was populating on the exterior of the stem wall to the slab, which as you mentioned, we wanted 12" of concrete above slab/grade to the sill plate.  The pony wall feature is great...and yes, NEVER drag walls if you can help it...it is about the very last thing I might consider for 3D model fixes prior to exporting to my high end web based virtual reality solutions.

• Upvote 1