Framing a polyline solid?

Mar_Vel

I'm making irregular box-like details for which I would like the required materials like framing and exterior shell to be included in the material list. I tried using a combination framed wall, ceiling ,floor, roof and its sucky. Is there a way to use polyline solids to create the shapes then have the program "pre-frame" the shapes so that I can modify the framing as usual? Thanks...Mark

ps. Using Premier X13

Just now, Mar_Vel said:

I'm making irregular box-like details for which I would like the required materials like framing and exterior shell to be included in the material list. I tried using a combination framed wall, ceiling ,floor, roof and its sucky. Is there a way to use polyline solids to create the shapes then have the program "pre-frame" the shapes so that I can modify the framing as usual? Thanks...Mark

ps. Using Premier X13

This is a really confusing post to understand from an outsider without seeing what you are referring to and without using our established standards or terminology. What are the "shapes" you are referring to? Box-like details..are you referring to a detail that a framer may refer to for joinery? 

The simplist shape is 50 continuous feet of 18"x24" built-up of 2x wood or steel framing. Clad with wood, EIFS, or copper...they don't know what they want. These will be fabbed offsite. But I'd like to where to out blocking and attachment points.  Also, show the framework on a rendering of the existing conditions. Thanks, Mark

image.thumb.png.6d527ae34a5483fd7f526baba740dbe0.png

24" W x 600" long  x 18" tall Room with walls, & Floor.  Auto framed.  Used the temporary remove surface tool to show the framing by deleting the 2nd floor sub-floor sheathing layer.

Key is to hang the floor system from the walls w/ upside down framing and sheathing on 1st floor and a 0 height 2nd floor.

For the different facades you can just add that to your wall definition floor structure for first floor and floor finish for 2nd floor.

image.thumb.png.6436ea3b6a84e9419aa2728fbf51c215.pngimage.thumb.png.730a8f725f8f46b8b0ded88c1b253b1a.png

• Like 1

For purposes of showing it in the project, I would just use a "Ceiling Beam" and set the material to whatever. 

I like Ryan's solution for how to "Detail" the beam.  You could convert Ryan's framed detail to a Symbol and then insert that into the model.  But that will result in a lot more surfaces than necessary. 

I would just keep his detail in a separate plan file and send it to Layout to show the details.  This will get you the material list and allow cross sections, etc to be sent to the Layout.

On 11/1/2021 at 11:31 AM, rgardner said:

image.thumb.png.6d527ae34a5483fd7f526baba740dbe0.png

24" W x 600" long  x 18" tall Room with walls, & Floor.  Auto framed.  Used the temporary remove surface tool to show the framing by deleting the 2nd floor sub-floor sheathing layer.

Key is to hang the floor system from the walls w/ upside down framing and sheathing on 1st floor and a 0 height 2nd floor.

For the different facades you can just add that to your wall definition floor structure for first floor and floor finish for 2nd floor.

That's what I tried to do using the structural. So it IS possible. Will give it a shot. Thank you!