Modifying road slopes

DesignTech

Is it possible to constrain or modify the slope of a road? Can we modify the automatically generated grade lines to create side slopes?

I have residential projects where the building pads are generally down slope on water front sites where we need to cut roads in. The roads must be in the 10% - 12% range, and sometimes they are cut into the slope sideways.  I think I can adjust this slope by the length of the road. but it would be nice if I could edit the auto generated grading lines to better define the actual cut and fill required, let alone creating a drainage swale along one side of the road.

image.thumb.png.62017e11f027b0acd6bb079b304108e7.png

image.thumb.png.e168a48b2608617709c38f550147ed21.png

The same way a road builder does by moderating the terrain of a road bed by altering the existing  terrain to accomidate a moderate slope of a road thourgh rougher terrain. It takes time, being methodical and  persistant, with a bit of trial and error but just like the road builder, it can be done by someone intent to do so.

DJP

David,

Thanks for the reply, but how does this answer the question? I realize it can be done in the field by a road builder, but how can I alter the model to more accurately depict the way it would need to be done? 

Obviously, without retaining walls, we would need to have side slopes that would need stabilization depending on the degree of slope. In this case, one of the challenges is depicting how much of an easement will be required to construct the road, and how much of the site would be taken up by road building.

The side slopes that were generated in my model are near 90 degrees. we know they need to be more like 40 degrees. so more land will need to be cleared and stabilized.

The new grading lines that were auto generated when the road was placed appear in green (see embedded plan image), but cannot be selected or edited. If they could be edited, i could possibly alter the model.

47 minutes ago, DesignTech said:

David,

Thanks for the reply, but how does this answer the question? I realize it can be done in the field by a road builder, but how can I alter the model to more accurately depict the way it would need to be done? 

Obviously, without retaining walls, we would need to have side slopes that would need stabilization depending on the degree of slope. In this case, one of the challenges is depicting how much of an easement will be required to construct the road, and how much of the site would be taken up by road building.

The side slopes that were generated in my model are near 90 degrees. we know they need to be more like 40 degrees. so more land will need to be cleared and stabilized.

The new grading lines that were auto generated when the road was placed appear in green (see embedded plan image), but cannot be selected or edited. If they could be edited, i could possibly alter the model.

Those grade lines are auto generated by elements that you introduce. What David is trying to tell you is to add your own terrain data using the various tools available to you in the terrain menu. I Personally like using elevation splines. Terrain can be a bear and it seems clear that you may be new to this function of the software. Many of our user responses come from the assumption that you have familiarized yourself with the help section and videos available from Chief.
Anywho, add some elevation data and you will see the interpolated terrain data change as you go. 

I did go through all of the help videos I could find. I guess the the help videos for those tools focused on generating a completely new terrain vs. importing a survey and then editing the data.

So there is no way of defining the slope of a road or defining the side slope through a dialogue?

1 hour ago, DesignTech said:

I did go through all of the help videos I could find. I guess the the help videos for those tools focused on generating a completely new terrain vs. importing a survey and then editing the data.

So there is no way of defining the slope of a road or defining the side slope through a dialogue?

3 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

by moderating the terrain of a road bed by altering the existing  terrain to accomidate a moderate slope of a road thourgh rougher terrain.

2 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

What David is trying to tell you is to add your own terrain data using the various tools available to you in the terrain menu. I Personally like using elevation splines.

Roads will follow the terrain that you have modeled.  In order for it to be a certain slope you need to enter data to the terrain to allow it to follow within your constraints.  Roads are not an elevation tool such as Rene brings out.  

2 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

I Personally like using elevation splines.

Great advice for your particular need.  A spline up hill and downhill from your road set to your maximum side slope will give you your side to side elevation,  another farther up slope and the correct distance away will give you the stabilized up/down slope that you are looking for.

Terrain is an awfully advanced feature for a BIM software so the suggestions given are excellent advice but it takes alot of pre-gained knowledge to use it for a difficult case study like what you are talking about.  If you have not found the information by thoroughly familiarizing yourself with the Knowledge base, the help file, Chiefs many videos and articles about terrain and you understand the tools then the next step would be personal training either direct with chief or one of the many excellent trainers amongst our power users.

Unfortunately, for what we get paid on residential projects, we only have a few hours to devote to this kind of work. Probably much quicker to do it manually pen and paper

Thanks to all for your input. If you have specific videos that you feel address similar issues please feel free to comment.