Issues trying to trace over pdf or plans in chief

bkennedy74

Hi all. I usually have someone do this for me but they are MIA. I have a set of plans that are in PDF format with scale, I import them into chief as a PDF, but when I try to trace over them teh sizes are incorrect, ie: the wall sizes don't match up. i understand I might have to scale them. I followed the FAQ on how to chnge the scale but that didn't work. 

Also when I zoom into the plan, all of the titles and headings start moving all over the place. See attached pictures. 

My goal is I have to recreate this plan in chief and don't want to freestyle it, but it seems like that's the only option right now. 

any advice would be great. 

the second picture that is zoomed in, you can see that the words just start crossing over each other. But as you normally zoom in on something like this, they should be farther apart. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 5.00.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 5.00.36 PM.png

Transform and Replicate works pretty reliably.  Just draw a cad line on one of the longer dimensioned items and check the length of the cad line and divide to get the scale factor and resize the pdf and the cad line.  Check the cad line to see if it now equals the dimensioned value.

On 10/12/2021 at 6:36 PM, Chopsaw said:

Transform and Replicate works pretty reliably.  Just draw a cad line on one of the longer dimensioned items and check the length of the cad line and divide to get the scale factor and resize the pdf and the cad line.  Check the cad line to see if it now equals the dimensioned value.

this is what I do(except i use a point to point dimension line), sometimes it takes two attempts, with the second attempt usually around 0.99 or 1.01 factor needed

Trick is to use the longest dimensioned line in the pdf

1 hour ago, jasonN said:

this is what I do(except i use a point to point dimension line), sometimes it takes two attempts, with the second attempt usually around 0.99 or 1.01 factor needed

You should be able to get it right in one try if you set your number style to decimal inches and use all the available decimal places in your calculation, with the cad line method.  As you typically would not have your dimension defaults set quite that fine.