How To Customize Cabinet Door, Drawer And Panel Styles From Core Catalog

sunyaer

Mark,

I suspect that CA created their door symbols by creating a rail and then copying that and rotating 90 degrees about the "y" axis to use as a stile.  That way, the material is transformed 90 degrees the same as the stile rotation.  It allows you to use a single material but get the grain to follow the length of the frame member.

Joe, the material doesn't rotate with the object. I tried faces to see if they work differently but rotate a face also  altered the size for some reason??

Great idea Scott, it keeps the grain going properly but that makes a mitered door not a rail and stile door.

Still very useful though don't use them often I just took on a line that has quite a few and does them well (rare) I was not looking forward to making them with solids.

Wish I'd thought of that some time back when I had to do a bunch of floor inlays for a client- using my limited brute force tactics took some time, this is easy.

Still wonder what the magic trick is? Is it a secret? Where's Doug?

Mark,

I did a bit of experimenting and here's what I found:

1.  I created a box 3" wide, 1" deep & 24" tall.

2.  I assigned a wood grain material (vertical)

3.  I converted this to a symbol called "Stick"
4.  I placed several of these in my plan and manipulated the width and height.

Now here's the interesting part - the grain automatically aligns with the long axis.  When I changed one of the symbols to 3" tall and 10" wide the grain became horizontal.  This only works with the "Stick Symbol", not with the original primitive box.

So the key is to use a piece that's been converted to a symbol to build your doors.

Of course, if you need a special profile it takes a bit more work but the above rule still applies.

Hi Mark, it seems these objects are not selectable. How to select and remove them (shown in the following attachment picture) from the model?

Also, would you mind summarizing the steps creating the door given in your model by using the solution?

If it would be great if a model could be provided as well.

post-3570-0-15929500-1419441978_thumb.jpg

They are on a Pdf so can't be selected. That layer is locked so you can trace them to make your own profiles. They are scaled to actual size and are common profiles. I drew a few and placed them on the side to show the needed orientation to have prior to sending to the library.