Roads & Cross-Sections

Vendel

Hi Guys (and Ladies?),

Only my second topic on this great forum, I usually try to figure out the problems myself (and most of the time I succeed), but it really looks like I need your help with this one.

I've started to build a map of the Marketplace in my hometown. Already finished one building. Then it seemed better to finish the terrain first. So i've started to build a cross-section (a rather difficult one too).

I've used polyline roads > change line/arc > convert curve to polyline. Then i've used a lot of points to get the job done.

Well... lots of talk, but simply look at the two attachments to look at my problem with the curbs.

post-2771-0-47359500-1418863584_thumb.jpg

post-2771-0-39760100-1418863593_thumb.jpg

My question is how to squeeze the two roads together, so that the curbs go away.

Make the roads overlap and then hit the MERGE POLYLINES. ......bottom left corner.

Do we really allow The Dutch on this web site?

There was an earlier post where I was trying to figure out the difference between Holland and The Netherlands.

A reminder.....

Script

Welcome to the Great nation of Holland: where the tulips grow, the windmills turn, the breakfast is chocolatey, the people industrious, and the sea tries to drown it all.

Except, this country isn't Holland. It's time for:

The Difference Between Holland, the Netherlands (and a whole lot more)

The correct name for this tulip growing, windmill building, hagelslag eating, container ship moving, ocean conquering nation is the Netherlands.

But confusion is understandable -- the general region been renamed a lot over a thousand including as:

The Dutch Republic

The United States of Belgium and

The Kingdom of Holland

But it's not just history that makes this country's name confusing because the Netherlands is divided into twelve provinces:

Groningen

Drenthe

Overijssel

Gelderland

Limburg

Brabant

Zeeland (Which, by the way, is the Zeeland that makes this Zeeland, new)

Friesland (With adorable little hearts on its flag)

Flevoland

Utrecht, and here's the confusion:

Noord (North) Holland and

Zuid (South) Holland

These provinces make calling the Netherlands 'Holland' like calling the United States 'Dakota'. Though unlike the Dakotas, which are mostly empty, save for the occasional Jackalope, the two Hollands are the most populated provinces and have some of the biggest attractions like, Amsterdam and Keukenhof.

Even the government's travel website for the country is Holland.com -- officially because it sounds friendlier, but unofficially it's probably what people are actually searching for.

Ok, that worked. Still got problems selecting multiple polylines with +Ctrl, but somehow I got to it.

Next question : How can I give some fractions of the road a different color?

The problem is that the roads I've placed are about 10cm below the main terrain.

I want to place a bicycle lane ON the road, so that the lane and the road are at the same level. (bicycle lane with different materials).

If I place another road as a bicycle lane, I get curbs at both sides. I don't want that.

If I place something else, like a garden bed, it automatically places it 10cm above the road (same level as the terrain).

If I lower the height of that garden bed, it digs itself in the road.

post-2771-0-67647900-1418910452_thumb.jpg

post-2771-0-05453700-1418910462_thumb.jpg

Must be a more simple way to do this.

Just add a sidewalk or whatever you like directly where you want it. Change material to whatever you want, change height to slightly different than the road. If you use road again, just select no curbs, but really a sidewalk or driveway works too.

post-489-0-19669700-1418917774_thumb.jpg