Tip for your GPU Fans

PMMully

I just installed X13, and I noticed that if you have a PBR screen open, the GPU works overtime, and hence the fans work to clear the heat while it is active. Its not like a CPU raytrace where when you stop it it chills out. Mean-time-between-failure comes to mind, everything can wear out.

1 hour ago, PMMully said:

PBR screen open, the GPU works overtime

Check "Cap Live Samples" The GPU will continue to work for a while after it first resolves to look decent but it will stop which takes 3-6 minutes on my 3070 longer on the 2070. Time depends on image and settings. IF you adjust the rendering or move the camera it will start again but then settle.

image.thumb.png.bd49322d38c7a7dc7dee0a661fc34d2c.png

• Upvote 1

I think the tip is, don't leave your render set to PBR/RTRT when you don't need to see that displayed. I constantly swap out to Technical illustration for ease of display. A hold out habit from using Watercolor as my primary render technique in the past.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 7:41 AM, MarkMc said:

Check "Cap Live Samples" The GPU will continue to work for a while after it first resolves to look decent but it will stop which takes 3-6 minutes on my 3070 longer on the 2070. Time depends on image and settings.

So cap live samples still works on the image, but more for a fixed time and then the GPU relaxes until it is moved?  I've not seen much of a difference in the image by checking or unchecking Cap Live Samples.

On 8/17/2021 at 9:21 AM, jtcapa1 said:

So cap live samples still works on the image, but more for a fixed time and then the GPU relaxes until it is moved?  I've not seen much of a difference in the image by checking or unchecking Cap Live Samples.

Yes it just lets the Card come out of boost mode when it is no longer needed, and thus generates less heat , both for the Card and the Room you are working in, my 3080 is like sitting on a little heater at times.....

M.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Yes it just lets the Card come out of boost mode when it is no longer needed, and thus generates less heat , both for the Card and the Room you are working in,

my 3080 is like sitting on a little heater at times.....

M.

My 3070 is noticeable. I have an ibuyPower and it has 4 fans in it.

On 8/12/2021 at 1:15 PM, Gawdzira said:

I think the tip is, don't leave your render set to PBR/RTRT when you don't need to see that displayed. I constantly swap out to Technical illustration for ease of display. A hold out habit from using Watercolor as my primary render technique in the past.

you nailed it :-). This is my first foray into this type of power. The kids are all used to it with the gaming setups.