Roof Problem

mcrump

Can someone take a look at this plan and tell me where I am going wrong. The problem is the bay roof at the rear of the house. The problem is I want a straight ridge that dies into the main roof. I usually manually build all my roofs and have never had a problem like this before with a sloping ridge. I even tried building the roofs automatically and get the same results. I can't figure out why this one is different. Much thanks!

Amaro.zip

Scott,

I really appreciate you looking at this.  I was accepted into the Beta team yesterday but don't have X7 installed yet.  So unfortunately I can't see your fix.  I'm sure it was something dumb on my part.

Scott,

I really appreciate you looking at this.  I was accepted into the Beta team yesterday but don't have X7 installed yet.  So unfortunately I can't see your fix.  I'm sure it was something dumb on my part.

Not dumb on your part,  you don't completely understand how these bays work.  They can be tricky if you do not know what you are doing.  Here is a pic.  Note I have two additional roof planes that you do not have.

post-50-0-09284300-1417549681_thumb.jpg

I agree with Jim....  except......  and I am not sure what actually happens out in the field,  and the difference is so small.....  and Jim's method might be what they do in the field....  however I do it just a little differently......  first I build manually....  not a big deal.....  but here is the difference..... Jim matched elevation heights of the fascias and I match heights at the plate line. 

Jim matched elevation heights of the fascias whilst maintaining the exact same overhang,  however,  technically,  the plate heights on the angled walls are technically about 3/4" higher than the standard plate height......  not noticeable......  I maintain the same plate height at angled walls but because I do.....  my eaves are actually an inch or two longer at angled walls.

My hips meet exactly at the angle where the two walls meet,  Jim's do not.

I am splitting hairs,  I only bring this up so you understand there are two approaches with two results that are almost imperceptible.  I do not know what method they use in the field. I think both work......  I should ask a framer what he would do......  I bet they don't even realize the two approaches.... they probably use whatever they have been using since day one.

Jim,  you understand the difference,  have you ever actually asked a framer what he does?  

Thanks Jim & Scott.  I felt it easier to just come out with a 2' long wall that is 90 degrees to the rear wall before turning the angle instead of coming off the rear wall at 45 degrees..  That way I can maintain the same roof pitch and plate heights.  I do appreciate seeing an alternate method to my madness.

Yes, there are different ways to physically design the roof over a bay - I really benefited from Jims video - but I am again left with the fact I am sure these sorts of methods exist for many things in CA....and realizing I dont know many.

Here is the construction method for Jim's:

bay-3.jpg

Here is another way:

joecarlo-unequal-pitch-baywindow.jpg

Mr McCrump.

Here's my lame attempt at a video explaining how to do those bay roofs.

I have nothing to add on the framing, but I must say I loved that video, Jim. Opened my eyes to some settings on colors for selections, line weights, etc. I've so far never used 'Line Weight' on when working in plan.