Laptop purchase help

Katy_DDR

Hello all,

I need a new laptop much sooner than later.  I've been researching and looking at all the options and frankly it's all starting to look the same.  I know some brands are 'better' than others, but does it just come down to whether you prefer Chevy or Ford?  What do I stay away from?  I'm finding a 17" w/i7-10th gen and RTX 2070 Max that costs less than a 15.3" w/seemingly the same specs.  I'd like to keep the cost under $1500 but can flex some; I need it to last a few years.  Any advice for the weary and decision-frozen?

Thank you for your thoughts,

Kt

10 hours ago, Katy_DDR said:

looking at all the options and frankly it's all starting to look the same

Yeah can be a challenge. I see you read the other thread which should give you some idea overall. 

One thing between brands is what they don't tell you-what brand drive, RAM, screen brand, except for Asus and MSI it can be a challenge to find out what the MOBO is.

A good place to get some comparison of machines is www.notebookcheck.net. You can also wade through info on specific models by brand at www.notebookreview.com forums. Now most of the folks posting over there are gamers so a lot does not apply or sounds like a foreign language. I just look for issues, in particular thermal performance or general problems like screens.

Good places to shop and talk to sales (in the states at least) are HIDevolution, XoticPC and a few others that carry multiple brands AND does service themselves.  I've bought from both of those and been happy. Unfortunately they will not know much about if anything about Chief. It helps if you have some idea what your needs are in CA and see where that gets you.

There is also how you use the machine? I need it to do everything and anything all day every day. I also want a machine that will perform for 4-5 yrs which affects my thinking on budget. (My 9-1/2 yr old Sager/Clevo is still running the office)

• Upvote 1

Thank you, Mark!  I had seen your post about 'notebookreview' and the most current info I could find is 2017.  I'll try again; maybe I was in the wrong place.

How I'll use the machine is everything & anything as well, lol.  I'm learning CA as I go and use the cameras a lot.  Rendering will be used, once I have a computer than can handle it.  I'll also be using vanilla-AutoCAD for other work, but that's way less intense than CA cameras & rendering.  I need to be mobile or else I'd go desktop.

I'm thinking to go RTX2070 or better [i.e. Max, Super] and i7-10th gen or better.  I'm on the fence about 15.6" or 17" - my current is 15.6" and works fine, but I'm not averse to a 17" [which usually has 10-key with the keyboard] except for the weight.  And I'm aiming for M2-SSD.  Most of my stuff is cloud kept so I don't need a lot of space but I know it can impact performance; I've had this computer at least 4 years and am using less than 120Gb out of 1Tb.  I don't know what else to focus on to make a choice, besides price.

notebookreview is for forums by brand and model, notebookcheck is for reviews with comparisons.

2070 super or Max Q-a 2080 Max Q will perform about the same as a 2070 Super but- less power so less heat but they tend to be thinner machines with a little less cooling ability. Max Q costs more most of the time.

i7-is fine IMO -9 likely better? but not sure worth the cost. No 11th gens and no RTX 3000s till next year sometime. May or may not be worth the wait but really looking at 4-6 months for that to shake out.

M2-make and model makes a difference.

Keyboard-depends on brand, my 15" has all the same keys as my older 17 just a tad smaller keys.  I use extra monitors and keyboard at desk but like to have full keyboard on the road.

For steady full time use and long term life of a laptop upgrade thermal paste, consider pads. Get it re-pasted after a year or so sort of like getting oil changes. I don't do it myself, local guy cleans and pastes for $60-80 but Note that I get machines that can be easily opened and serviced.

• Upvote 1

I'm back with a request for opinions please ......... I have my list narrowed down to 3 laptops.  All 3 are processor i7-10750H, graphics RTX 2070 Max-Q, NVMe SSD, and 16Gb RAM [which I'm certain I can expand on 2 and assume I can on the other one].

In order of price, from least to more: Dell G5 (model gn5500ehwkh) from Dell, Acer Predator Helios 300 (model PH317-54-70ED) from Costco, and MSI GS66 Stealth (model GS66005) from Best Buy.  The only other big difference between them, as far as I can tell, is that the Acer Predator is 17" screen [with weight to go with it] while the Dell & MSI are 15.6".  Oh, and the Dell has 512Gb SSD while the other two are 1Tb [I currently have that size drive but am only using 120Gb].

Any and all thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

2 hours ago, Katy_DDR said:

I'm back with a request for opinions please ......... I have my list narrowed down to 3 laptops.  All 3 are processor i7-10750H, graphics RTX 2070 Max-Q, NVMe SSD, and 16Gb RAM [which I'm certain I can expand on 2 and assume I can on the other one].

In order of price, from least to more: Dell G5 (model gn5500ehwkh) from Dell, Acer Predator Helios 300 (model PH317-54-70ED) from Costco, and MSI GS66 Stealth (model GS66005) from Best Buy.  The only other big difference between them, as far as I can tell, is that the Acer Predator is 17" screen [with weight to go with it] while the Dell & MSI are 15.6".  Oh, and the Dell has 512Gb SSD while the other two are 1Tb [I currently have that size drive but am only using 120Gb].

Any and all thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

And I'll throw the Asus one in my Sig. into the mix as well if looking at 17" with the 10875H.

Not sure on availability right now though on the G732-LWS 17" ( 1/2lb heavier than the 15" version but price was the same at one point )

Last years 2019 model may also be still available and cost less

in case you can't see my Sig.

LAPTOP
ASUS ROG Strix G732LWS, Windows 10 Pro on a 17.3" 300Hz 1920x1080 FHD Panel,
and an Intel Core i7-10875H, 8GB RTX 2070, 16GB DDR4,  1TB Intel 660p NVME

Mick.

• Upvote 1