Roof Return Missing on One Side

stevenyhof

Hello,

Hoping one of you guru's out there can help me.

I added the roof returns to a number of gables and it all worked perfectly - a week or so ago.

Now I am completing the plans and see the my front porch gable roof return is missing on the right side.

I removed it and tried again, but no go. I tried on the porch wall and the attic wall - both add the return to the left side but not the right.

I even mirrored/copied the roof from the left to the right and that did not work.

I know it is something I may have done - because that has proven over and over, but cannot find any issues.

Thoughts?

I wish they would increase the size a file can be... 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zSLeZLDIRSsZWin7R1bfHL-OOxYNFiQZ/view?usp=sharing

Thank you,

Steve

1.jpg

7 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

The overhang does not match.  Move this wall 1/2" to the right so that its in a symmetrical location compared to the corresponding wall on the left...

wall.jpg

Ah! Thank you so much! I will look out for that.

Steve, 
I suspect you manually built the roof planes, right?  
I have found that I have to be super careful about making sure what is getting snapped to when starting a manual roof plane.  You would think/hope that it would only ever snap to the main framing layer, but I have found it can randomly snap to outside of sheathing instead.  

8 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Steve, 
I suspect you manually built the roof planes, right?  
I have found that I have to be super careful about making sure what is getting snapped to when starting a manual roof plane.  You would think/hope that it would only ever snap to the main framing layer, but I have found it can randomly snap to outside of sheathing instead.  

Yes, a very complex roof. And yes, I do struggle, or I should say that I try to be careful where the wall snaps. Once I know where a good roof is, I use my shadow board height and match that. That has worked well for heights. But in this case, being careful is not careful enough. I knew it would be something simple like a misaligned plane or point. 

It is things like this that get me because I am not always thinking about how a small move here changes something there. I may have nudged the header hours before and never paid attention to the roof until I was placing it on the layout. By then the cause and effect no longer care about each other :) Thank you for your help on this. I am slowly becoming more and more aware of what I am doing and thinking about the effects of my actions.

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

@stevenyhof For your “roof plan view”  turn on “main layer only” in the roof plan layerset.  This way your roof plane will only find the main layer...and you won’t be aligning the roof baseline above the siding surface.  

I need to get used to building my roof in the "Roof Plan View". I checked it and it is set up on Main Layer Only, and of course it is very clean and easy to see. I will make it a practice to use this roof view to do my roofs. Thank you Steve!

I had this plan done by adding a roof return manually. I just spent some time getting things exactly centered and at the same heights on each roof. I seen that it was off on the right roof by maybe a 1/2". Now both roofs join exactly at the center of the wall. I unchecked the roof return and closed the dbx. Opened it again and checked it, and the left roof is the only one that shows up. I did set up the roofs in the Plan View and then went into Working View to select the wall. I'm moving on as I have a lot more work to do. It was working when I first put it together. I'm not sure if any of you downloaded the plan and got it to work, but it is not working for me. I will watch closer next time I put this together as I know I can be a "little" aggressive in placing my roofs. I will use the Roof View moving forward so there is less on the screen and easier to see. Thank you

5 hours ago, SNestor said:

@stevenyhof For your “roof plan view”  turn on “main layer only” in the roof plan layerset.  This way your roof plane will only find the main layer...and you won’t be aligning the roof baseline above the siding surface.  

Thanks Steve!!!  Didn't think of that.  That totally highlights the problems I've had with manual roof planes snapping to the wrong wall layer. I often flip back and forth between building roofs in the Roof Plan (where 'main layer only' is on, and working on roofs in 'working plan' where I have all the wall layers on.  Still think it would be nice to have roof planes 'know' that they're supposed to snap to the main layer.. but at least now that I know what the heck is going on I can avoid the problem.