Can I easily copy wall caps to other existing walls?

mgianzero

29 minutes ago, glennw said:

You do exactly what you said.

You Break the wall into 3 sections.

Pull the spillway section forward out of alignment so that the wall doesn't want to snap together again.

Change the cap.

Move that section of wall back to its original location.

The different cap will stop the wall from snapping together as 1 wall.

Or create a new wall type for the spillway section.

In a vector view, you will probably get a line where the walls meet, but that will probably line up with the edges of the waterfall anyway.

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 12.24.49 pm.png

Glen,

Thanks for the advice, but when I pull that wall out of alignment (in plan view), like you said, it just snaps back and even deletes that wall segment.  

What am I doing wrong?

Perhaps you can show me with my plan and a quick video on how you got this to work.

Marc

8 minutes ago, mgianzero said:

Thanks for the advice, but when I pull that wall out of alignment (in plan view), like you said, it just snaps back and even deletes that wall segment.

Try pulling the wall away further so that it doesnt snap back.

9 hours ago, glennw said:

Try pulling the wall away further so that it doesnt snap back.

I actually even pulled the entire wall out from the current wall to where it said the wall was unconnected.  Then I shrank its height and removed the cap.  

When I dragged that changed wall back into place, it merged with the wall and applied changes to the entire wall.

I must be doing something wrong.

OK, I think I have it sorted.

I am having the same problems as you.

The easiest way to control everything is to use 2 Room Divider walls to control all the various parameters.

Place 2 Room Divider walls perpendicular to the spa wall and then break the spa wall at those points.

You can then control the location of the spillway by moving the Room Divider walls.

Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 8.40.54 am.png

GLENNSTerrain w: Footprint (new pool:spa) work.plan

4 hours ago, glennw said:

OK, I think I have it sorted.

I am having the same problems as you.

The easiest way to control everything is to use 2 Room Divider walls to control all the various parameters.

Place 2 Room Divider walls perpendicular to the spa wall and then break the spa wall at those points.

You can then control the location of the spillway by moving the Room Divider walls.

Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 8.40.54 am.png

GLENNSTerrain w: Footprint (new pool:spa) work.plan

Okay. ....   That works!

However, just a few caveats.   

1.  I noticed that I still need to pull that wall section away from other wall after I place my room dividers otherwise it still snaps back to the original wall after I make any changes.

2.  After I make all the changes I like, it seems as though I have to keep these room divider lines in place.  Even if I delete one of the room dividers (to make plan view look a little neater) the walls revert back to merge with surrounding walls and applies changes to entire wall again.  I can't win.

Is this what you discovered too?

Yes the Room Divider walls are permanent.

I think when i was trying out the Room Divider walls, I had them going completely through the spa walls and then when I had it all working OK, I dragged the end of the walls bak so that they were only on one side of the spa walls. Therefore, i didn't need to drag the bit of spa wall away.

I believe the Room Divider walls go on the Walls, Invisible layer by default.

Just turn the display of that layer off in whatever the floor plan layer set is.

Or put them on their own custom layer and turn that layer off.

8 hours ago, glennw said:

Yes the Room Divider walls are permanent.

I think when i was trying out the Room Divider walls, I had them going completely through the spa walls and then when I had it all working OK, I dragged the end of the walls bak so that they were only on one side of the spa walls. Therefore, i didn't need to drag the bit of spa wall away.

I believe the Room Divider walls go on the Walls, Invisible layer by default.

Just turn the display of that layer off in whatever the floor plan layer set is.

Or put them on their own custom layer and turn that layer off.

Thank you so much Glenn.  You have been extremely helpful with this whole process.  I would have never though to use room dividers to accomplish what I needed here.  Just wish there was an easier way to adjust the heights of these walls besides using Cross Section / Elevation views.  It's quite a cumbersome process that way, but at least it works!

A couple of things.

First off, I would change your spa wall definitions slightly to make things a bit clearer and to be better able to keep track of what is happening.

Do this by opening the 14" Concrete Stem Wall definition and changing the Line Color for one side of the wall to red (or any color).

This will let you easily identify if a wall is "inside out" in plan view..

I would go around each wall and  use the Reverse Layers tool to fix things up.

This may make it easier to apply the Wall Coverings to the correct sides of the walls (by group selecting the walls and changing them all at once).

Next.

7 hours ago, mgianzero said:

Just wish there was an easier way to adjust the heights of these walls besides using Cross Section / Elevation views

There is a way to do this.

The default wall heights are determined by the ceiling height of the room - in this case the room is the spa.

Group select the spa walls and open the dbx.

On the Structure panel>Default Wall Heights, check Default Wall Top Height.

You can now control the wall heights by changing the ceiling height of the spa room. 

• Upvote 1