Colorgirl

DRAWING ONLY INTERIOR WALLS

Recommended Posts

Hi -

 

I'm a kitchen & bath designer who used 2020, so I'm brand new to Chief Architect.  Please bear with me as I'm sure my question will make most of you laugh lol...

 

Is it possible to just create interior walls? If so (fingers crossed haha), how do I go about doing that?  I can't seem to find any information on creating ONLY interior walls.

 

Thank you all so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure.  Just use the interior wall tool...but you need to have a fully enclosed 'room' in order for it to create a floor and ceiling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of articles and videos on the Chief website, and on the Chief YouTube channel.

 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7jB5YPuzy5utIP1tF3w2mQ

 

 

With Chief, it's best to start by drawing a building -- just 4 walls with a roof and foundation, then drawing your kitchen or bath within it.

 

8 minutes ago, Colorgirl said:

Is it possible to just create interior walls?

 

Select the interior wall tool and draw away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're trying to accomplish things like this...

room.thumb.jpg.756bb6714a7a282a631549dac366d008.jpg

...then simply draw your desired "interior" walls using the appropriate wall types, use one or more walls set to Invisible to enclose the room, and then either uncheck Flat Ceiling Over This Room to remove the ceiling or simply turn off the Ceiling Surfaces layer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...and if you want to view your model the way Alaskan_Son is showing it there with the camera-facing walls invisible then in your camera dbx (dialogue-box) check the box as shown in the snip below.  

Hide Wall.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DzinEye said:

Sure.  Just use the interior wall tool...but you need to have a fully enclosed 'room' in order for it to create a floor and ceiling.

Thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, solver said:

Lots of articles and videos on the Chief website, and on the Chief YouTube channel.

 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7jB5YPuzy5utIP1tF3w2mQ

 

 

With Chief, it's best to start by drawing a building -- just 4 walls with a roof and foundation, then drawing your kitchen or bath within it.

 

 

Select the interior wall tool and draw away.

Thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

If you're trying to accomplish things like this...

room.thumb.jpg.756bb6714a7a282a631549dac366d008.jpg

...then simply draw your desired "interior" walls using the appropriate wall types, and use one or more walls set to Invisible to enclose the room and then either uncheck Flat Ceiling Over This Room to remove the ceiling or simply turn off the Ceiling Surfaces layer.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for!  Thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DzinEye said:

...and if you want to view your model the way Alaskan_Son is showing it there with the camera-facing walls invisible then in your camera dbx (dialogue-box) check the box as shown in the snip below.  

Hide Wall.JPG

Awesome, thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also be aware that there is really no such thing as an "interior" or "exterior" wall tool - these terms are a bit misleading.

They are just two different wall tools and either one can be used as an interior or exterior wall.

The 2 wall tools may as well just be called "wall type 1" and "wall Type 2".

Chief recognises the difference between and "exterior" or "interior" wall by it's location in the model - not by the wall tool used to draw the wall.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, glennw said:

Also be aware that there is really no such thing as an "interior" or "exterior" wall tool - these terms are a bit misleading.

They are just two different wall tools and either one can be used as an interior or exterior wall.

The 2 wall tools may as well just be called "wall type 1" and "wall Type 2".

Chief recognises the difference between and "exterior" or "interior" wall by it's location in the model - not by the wall tool used to draw the wall.

Good to know, thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    28446
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    ShayKD
    Newest Member
    ShayKD
    Joined
  • Similar Content

    • By kylejmarsh
      Though I always council my clients to match their interior wall finishes to their soffits, sometimes I find they are resistant to the idea and want to use two different materials for these items.
       
      However, I only have the option to change the default for the two together:
       

       
      Is there a way to create a new material default, or to separate these? I guess it's not a big deal but I always wondered if there was some deeper insight that I was just not picking up on... perhaps some Chiefer out there can enlighten me?
    • By wpdesigninc
      I am working on an ADU and the county requirements say it needs to be 900 square feet or less. On one hand, the county code says: 
      The ADU cannot exceed 50% of the square footage of the habitable area of primary residence or 900 square feet, whichever is smaller
       
      I have 3 questions:  Is "Habitable Area" determined on dimensions from Interior or Exterior walls when it comes to the 900 square feet requirement? Does this vary city to city or is there a code standard?  
       
      My current plan has a total of 900 square feet. I also need to know if this total is based on a measurement from Interior walls or Exterior walls? How do I confirm? Is there a default setting where you set this to factor for living area calculations?
       
      Is there a standard in the IBC which states that the living area is always calculated on Interiors or Exterior walls?
       
      I will need to reduce my footprint if I find the requirement is based on exterior walls dimensions.  
       
      Any experience with this code situation and knowledge on how to confirm this calc within my settings would be greatly appreciated. 
    • By DragonCowboy011
      I'm a new CA user and I'm attempting to draw plans for an addition. I have an exterior stucco wall with two windows and a door. After the remodel, this exterior wall will become and interior wall, and the windows and door will be removed. In this new INTERIOR wall there will be a new 6' opening that will occupy the same space as one of the previous windows and door.
       
      The problem I'm having is creating a drawing for the building department that shows both floor plan layouts, with both the new and existing floor plans. As soon as I update the window type, or the window/door space, it changes all the drawings that I've created.
       
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • By ferchl
      I'm encountering an issue where interior walls drawn under a flat ceiling plane, but near a sloped ceiling, are stopping at the rafters, instead of the ceiling plane. It makes no difference if "Stop at Ceiling Above" is enabled for the wall objects. Is there any way to get these walls to stop at the ceiling plane? It's very easy to recreate this issue, but I have attached a super simple plan that demonstrates it.
       
      Note: There is no issue when there is a normal automatic ceiling above. To recreate the issue, I have to turn off ceiling above and then manually create a new ceiling plane that is higher than the top plate. Using version X8.
      Walls-Through-Ceiling.plan