Cabinet Door Stile & Rails

JenniZ

Carefully study and then play with (change settings and then view the results of having done so) the Cabinet Specification Dialog and its tabs and settings. There is a lot of choices and functionality built into that tool for you to use as you wish, once you find out how it works.

DJP

There actually is a double-panel cabinet door in the library - type 'Beaded Recessed Panel DP' into the search bar, you will find one example.  They also have a raised panel version.

If you want it divided vertically, go to the 'Rectangular', then 'Framed' folder under the Cabinets Doors, Drawers & Panels heading, there are several configurations.

The only downside is that the divider is always centered.

There actually is a double-panel cabinet door in the library - type 'Beaded Recessed Panel DP' into the search bar, you will find one example.  They also have a raised panel version.

If you want it divided vertically, go to the 'Rectangular', then 'Framed' folder under the Cabinets Doors, Drawers & Panels heading, there are several configurations.

The only downside is that the divider is always centered.

That can be changed by setting a stretch plane at x=3 for the library symbol.  You would need to copy the symbol to your user library to do that.

Here's a few images from a wall cabinet's specification that I think is what David was eluding to.  Select a cabinet; open its spec. dialog box and then click on the door in the graphic on the right side and then proceed on in the front tab as shown in the images (you have to click the drop-down arrow to change a single door to a double door if the cabinet isn't the min. width for a double door).

post-191-0-49178100-1415596212_thumb.jpg     post-191-0-88259700-1415596239_thumb.jpg     post-191-0-12720600-1415596263_thumb.jpg

Here's what Help (F1) has to say about some of the settings I have noted:

post-191-0-01986600-1415596292_thumb.jpg

I didn't think the Help explanation was very well written, but, as David suggested, if you play around with all the settings and see what the results are after making changes, you will find out there are quite a few editing options you available for a cabinet which will hopefully help you get the results you are looking for.

Using the same cabinet and specification dbx I showed in my first post, I have clicked on the cabinet doors in the graphic and shortened them to 16.75" tall; doing this creates a blank space on the cabinet below the shortened double door; if you click on the blank space (it will highlight) and then click on the drop down arrow, you can change the blank space to a double door on the bottom of the cabinet as well (it comes in with a 17" height when doing this); then if you "0" the Vertical Overlap, this will create a space between your upper and lower doors (i.e., allow you to see a rail between the upper and lower doors; that same Vertical Overlap setting ("0") will also allow you to have reveal such that you can see the top and bottom rails  of the cabinet.

post-191-0-24794200-1415597499_thumb.jpg

In the next image (cabinet section) I have edited the "separations" at the top, middle and bottom of the cabinet by changing them from 3/4" to 1.5".  I also changed the vertical overlap to 1/4".  As you can see, the top and bottom edges of the doors overlap the door openings by 1/4".  The horizontal overlaps should probably also be edited such that the vertical edges of the doors overlap the face frame rather than matching up with the vertical edges of the door openings.

post-191-0-38562400-1415598308_thumb.jpg

Is this the sort of information you were looking for?  That is the way I interpreted your 1st post.

If you are still having trouble with the settings, give me a call in the morning (I am on Pacific time) and I will try and talk you through some of the things you can do within the cabinet specification dialog box.

"The only downside is that the divider is always centered."

The style would be centered when going from a single door to a double door.  For the "center rail", it can be almost anywhere vertically in the cabinet depending on what height you plug in for the upper and lower door(s).

This is the option I have always used but it would be nice to have the exact door style you want but to create mid rail or mid style that doesn't have the separation. I will go ahead and see if the library doors with this door style might be a close enough match to what I am using.

Thanks for the input.