Wall Materials changing and disappearing

SabGroup

3 minutes ago, SabGroup said:

I can't see the images, but I am assuming you were able to recreate the issue?

Yes. The railing from my library is fine in a new plan, but not in an existing plan. And the existing plan in question was created before X12 ,although that doesn't appear to be the issue.

I'm probably going to have to be done playing with this for now, but the behavior is super weird.  I can purposely get a wall to go rogue and sometimes I can fix it by simply placing another wall type in the library.  The behavior of the library objects change though depending on whether you're in the same plan, you start a new plan, or you restart the program.  Restarting the program is what seems to make the library object totally and permanently broke and unfixable though. 

Here's my conclusion for whatever it's worth...Create your wall type in plan and then add to library.  Do not edit the wall type after it has been placed in library.  If you do it this way, the wall seems to remain stable.  

There's definitely a reproducible bug that needs to be fixed here though.  I think the reason many of us have never seen it is that we don't typically edit wall types while they're in the library.  I'm honestly not sure I ever had up until I was troubleshooting this stuff for you today.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I'm probably going to have to be done playing with this for now, but the behavior is super weird.  I can purposely get a wall to go rogue and sometimes I can fix it by simply placing another wall type in the library.  The behavior of the library objects change though depending on whether you're in the same plan, you start a new plan, or you restart the program.  Restarting the program is what seems to make the library object totally and permanently broke and unfixable though. 

Here's my conclusion for whatever it's worth...Create your wall type in plan and then add to library.  Do not edit the wall type after it has been placed in library.  If you do it this way, the wall seems to remain stable.  

There's definitely a reproducible bug that needs to be fixed here though.  I think the reason many of us have never seen it is that we don't typically edit wall types while they're in the library.  I'm honestly not sure I ever had up until I was troubleshooting this stuff for you today.

Yes, I think you are right. Edit them in plan and then save to library. As long as I don't edit them in library they seem stable.

Thanks.

I've been following this thread out of curiosity mostly, until I realized I might do the same thing in the future. My 2 cents is to recommend you contact Tech Support again with a reference to this thread in order to give them the scenario Michael came up with and the confirmation it can be repeated. Kudos to Michael for his diligence.

53 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

I've been following this thread out of curiosity mostly, until I realized I might do the same thing in the future. My 2 cents is to recommend you contact Tech Support again with a reference to this thread in order to give them the scenario Michael came up with and the confirmation it can be repeated. Kudos to Michael for his diligence.

I normally try to stay out of issues I haven't come across on my own, but I'm gonna go ahead and send this one in myself.  I can very easily spell out the procedure to reproduce and hopefully it will help them sort out not only this issue but other similar library object material issues as well.  For the record, you can reproduce with the following steps:

1. Copy a Wall Type from the Core Catalog
  2. Paste that Wall Type into your User Catalog
  3. Open Object IN THE LIBRARY, and modify something about it.  It could be just about anything...wall type name, wall layer thickness, something on the Structure tab, almost anything.
  4. Draw with that wall from the library in the current plan and open it.  All should be fine.
  5. Open a new plan, draw with that wall from the library in the new plan, and open it.  All should be broken but wall in library should still look correct.
  6. Close down Chief, open it back up, start a new plan, and open that wall in the library.  It should be equally broken in the library now too.