Dutch Door?

KittleDesign

I have a client that is wanting a "barndominium", I need to use a dutch door for the exterior stable doors.  Is there a catalog with a dutch door or a way to create a dutch door in Chief?

I found the Tack Room catalog and I am going to use the stall door on the interior of the stables but it won't work for the exterior stable doors.

7 minutes ago, solver said:

I did a quick test. Looks like it's doable with a bit more work.

ct1.thumb.png.8d7c1c4c38bfde72bbaabb28e561f577.png

That's interesting Eric... how'd you get the lower panel to swing on the door handle side instead of the hinge side?

1 hour ago, glennw said:

You can place 2 doors in the same space.

Drag one above the other.

Mull them together.

Play with the sills, Mullion Depth, etc. to get things looking as you want

Aha!.. interesting.  Thanks.  
I'll have to give it a try.  

2 hours ago, solver said:

The door over was the first thing I tried, but I always forget about the mull depth -- Glenn never does

I was just now playing with this newfound dutch door ability (I'll probably never use one, but it may lead to other discoveries/uses).  Anyway, I was confounded by something and was just about to ask how the heck to get rid of that thin bit of frame between the doors and then realized you'd provided a clue here.  So, after searching and then reading a previous post about mull depth got it sorted out.   Interestingly, in that post Dermot said to set mull depth to "0" to get rid of it, but that didn't work for me.  Others in the post had success with setting it to 1"... and another 3".   I only had success using 3".    What about you?  Has anyone figured out what's the magic to this 'mull depth' thing?

Quite often, I find you need to use negative numbers because it is a juggling act to get the mullion depth to disappear.

You just need them to meet somewhere so that the mullion disappears - which can be anywhere in relation to the wall.

The reference point for the values is the wall surface which means that the values will vary as the wall thickness varies.

I believe a value of zero for both will make the mullion the same width as the wall.

If you want to move the outside mullion out away from the wall surface, you need to use a negative value.

To move the outside mullion in towards the interior, you need to use a positive value.

The best way to see what is happening is to draw a section through the door and make some changes.

You will see the mullion react to the various inputs.

109168038_ScreenShot2020-07-01at2_17_33pm.thumb.png.346d23e87bd76c9b82208a14ee16424d.png

12 hours ago, glennw said:

The best way to see what is happening is to draw a section through the door and make some changes.

Okay... just did this exercise.   As long as the mullion has zero thickness it will disappear whenever the Inside Depth OR Outside Depth OR total of both exceeds the jamb width.  So you could leave one at zero and make the other 6" and it goes away.  It worked with large numbers (12") and with negative numbers all it did was move it out into space beyond the door on one side or the other... but still if the total of the negative number plus the other exceeds the jamb width it will disappear.