How to: "Which layer sets contain a particular layer?"

JoeinNorCal

18 hours ago, glennw said:

Way back, many versions ago, Chief would allow you to create new layers in only a certain layerset(s).

I think you’re probably remembering the ability to RENAME layers differently in different layer sets.  

8 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes much more sinister.  And it took me a while to figure out what was going on but I would pan in plan view and find myself in a totally different layerset without knowing I had changed the layerset when my mouse passed under the ALDO layerset dropdown and scramble it. :(    It still happens but now it is on my list of wacky things to remember.

Can you make a quick video demonstrating this so called “glitch”.  It still sounds like you’re describing a completely normal behavior.  Just because you’re doing something on accident doesn’t make it a glitch.  

52 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I think you’re probably remembering the ability to RENAME layers differently in different layer sets.  

That could be possible - it was a long time ago.

Either way it was a big headache.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, glennw said:

That could be possible - it was a long time ago.

Either way it was a big headache.

I seem to remember it the same way as Glenn .... especially the Headache  :) ...so I'm not surprised it was changed.

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

I seem to remember it the same way as Glenn .... especially the Headache  :) ...so I'm not surprised it was changed.

I remember very clearly because it’s a feature I actually made use of, and it really wasn’t very long ago.  I believe it was removed in X9.  The ability we had was the option of naming layers differently in different layer sets and it allowed for a good handful for things such as:

-The ability to share files a little easier when one user preferred a totally different naming convention.

-The ability to use AIA naming conventions for any given layer set.

-The ability to append/prepend a layer name with a code to describe its intended settings in that particular layer set so that you could make temporary changes and then quickly filter (using code), group select, and then toggle accordingly.
-Some macro capabilities I won’t get into that Chief ended up very effectively replacing with some other feature improvements.

Anyway, I thought I t was a useful feature but I do agree that it was problematic for most users.  

19 hours ago, CAmichael240114 said:

Also a layer ("A" for example) can not be deleted if an item, symbol or CAD block is added to the library on that layer ("A").

You have to find that item in the library, change it on to another layer, then you can delete the layer.

It is hard find if the layer is blocked within a CAD block.

I don't believe this is accurate.  If you actually find this happening, I would report it. 

20 hours ago, JoeinNorCal said:

Any suggestions?

Yes, but not sure you'll like it.  My suggestion is to start a new template from scratch.  I see a lot of pervasive problems caused by the insistence on working with an old template instead of starting fresh.  You just keep carrying issues forward, and as you've found, it can be very difficult to sort through some of those things.  I say its best to stop fighting it and just start a clean new template where it only includes things you need and settings you (in your more experienced and knowledgeable state) have very purposefully set.

If you do decide to stick with your old template, in addition to system layers, multiple saved defaults, and other default settings, there's at least one more place layers can be used that I don't believe was mentioned, and that is in CAD Block Management...particularly if you have "Automatically Purge Unused CAD Blocks" unchecked.