CAD block layers in library

robdyck

20 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

That would sort of work, but I think a simple on-the-fly preference/toggle would be much better.  Otherwise, any shared CAD blocks, blocks in the Core Catalog, blocks in Bonus Libraries, etc. would all be dependent on whoever set them up and there would be no way to modify without adding each one to the User Library.  A preference/toggle would solve all these inherent problems and would also address potential legacy issues IMO. 

@Dermot 

Maybe a Chief developer can chime in...

I almost dread even dragging this on any further, and I hate to ask you to keep tying these explanations, but why would it be any different than any other shared library item or any item from any catalog? (this is a real question, not argumentative). I can add, say a fixture to my library, place it on my own custom layer and that layer holds. I can share that library item with others, and they get the layer right along with the item.

I can import dwg files and the import dbx gives me a ton of layer control options. So if I have a CAD block that I assign to one of my very own unique layer names (called blockyblocks) and you open one of my plans, copy the block and paste in into one of your plans, then you get the silly layer name as well. 

I can't see a logical reason why a CAD block couldn't be controlled similar to other library items.

Again to be clear, I only want to be able to place a CAD block on an assigned layer, and have the CAD block remain assigned to that layer once added to the library, just like almost every other item that goes into the library.

A little trial, make a fixture of any type, put it on any new weird layer you want. Open a plan without that layer (because its unique to the plan you just made it in), place the new item and now you have that layer, that you never had before.

If there are people that like the way it works now and people that would like it to work differently, then it sounds like an opportunity to add some more user control.  Maybe someone needs to submit a feature request.

I remember a similar debate in the past concerning the Convert Polyline tool.  In X12, you now have control over what layer is used for the polyline.  I think this was a good solution to the problem.  We may be able to come up with something similar for placing library cad blocks into plans although we probably don't want to open up a dialog every time you want to place a block.

convert polyline.png

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dermot said:

I remember a similar debate in the past concerning the Convert Polyline tool.  In X12, you now have control over what layer is used for the polyline.  I think this was a good solution to the problem.  We may be able to come up with something similar for placing library cad blocks into plans although we probably don't want to open up a dialog every time you want to place a block.

I'm glad you mention this Dermot.  This immediately came to mind as I read this thread.  I do very much like that control of converting the polyline, however I do wish (as per a recent suggestion/request) that we could set the default action of that control.  In my case I would want it set so that the newly created solid would stay on the same layer as the polyline it was created from.  This is very similar to the control that Robert is asking for.