VIDEO CARD QUESTIONS

pazzfam

Hi 

I am having a computer built by someone that I respect. but I told him I need a video card for gaming I have an alienware laptop with nvidia 1080 card now

and He want to use a Radeon pro WX2100 2m-d which to me was only a $ 100 card The radeon series has a 5100 model with 8 gb is that as good as  nvidia  

I am attaching the specs for computer any advice would help

Thank you 

BENS Q68154-ADAM PAZZ.pdf

I'm planning a new build this year and asked at the show about video cards, specifically if anything changed or would change regarding the Radeon Pro cards. Answer I got was get a card that supports real time raytrace. Since they have no idea of what the supposed upcoming RT on AMD is an RTX card was suggested, especially for rendering.

My recommendation would be to take a hard look at the proposed configuration, not just the video card. That I7 8700 CPU is dated, there are much better CPU's to choose from. Concerning the video card, recommend sticking with Nvidia, RX 2060 or better, 6GB ram. Not that other similar cards from others won't work but my sense is that Chief uses Nvidia cards in their machines so it's your best assurance that CA will perform as designed.

If you choose an Nvidia RX series card then you will have the capacity to real time Raytrace if and when this becomes available. No harm in having this capability but I would not count on this feature as the solution to a fundamentally poor rendering.

I agree with @TheKitchenAbode that the whole spec is dated, from the GPU to CPU, motherboard (older chipset) and SSD.

The SSD appears to be a SATA rather than NVMe unit and these days the price difference isn't great but the performance improvement can be significant as the SATA interface severally restricts transfer rates and Chief reads and writes a lot of data.